Big Mouth - Play Safe Forum Topics
Use this button to quickly leave the website
Quick Exit
Visit the blog

Home Forums Hanging Out Big Mouth

Tagged: ,

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 20 total)
  • Author
    MintMilanoMintMilano

Has anyone else watched Big Mouth? It’s a cartoon and a Netflix original, and it’s all about growing up and puberty and sex education. Warning though – it’s rated R18+ because there is a lot of pretty crude and naughty humour. But it is absolutely hilarious. 

But it got me thinking, it’s essentially brutally honest sex education, but for adults. I know a lot of my male friends actually learnt a thing or two about periods from it. If it wasn’t so inappropriate for young children I feel like it would a comprehensive educational tool! Anyone else a fan of the show? 

B0tmun
    Participant

hello

PurplePurple

I’m going to watch it tonight and I’ll let you know! 

DeftRat
    Participant

Def going to have to check this one out. Thanks @MintMilano

peachy
    Participant

@B0tmun hello!
    @MintMilano I thought they got my teenage girl experience so right, especially being in that awkward spot of still being a child in your parent’s eyes but feeling like you’re at least on your way to being an adult as well as how intense your first love can be! The only thing that annoyed me about the series was the bi-erasure in Andrew’s questioning his sexuality episode. But I suppose bisexuality doesn’t even feel like an option for a lot of teenagers. That’s so cool your friends learned something from it though! It would definitely be a good sex ed resource if it weren’t for the language haha 

HoneyPot

Totally binge-watched the whole thing this weekend. Absolutely loved it! I was thinking “i’m definitely going to show this to my kids when i have them” cause it was so good! I especially loved the consent episode. I agree with @peachy that there was some bi erasure in there and that annoyed me too. One of my band mates told me about it actually cause he learned something about periods! It’s educating adults indeed!

CookieMonster
    Participant

My partner put this on the other night! and I was like WTF is this show its so out there! but @MintMilano you raise I really good point about sex ed. I hope they don’t ban the show as there is a petition asking for Netflix to remove it….

MintMilanoMintMilano

@HoneyPot isn’t it great! I think it’s kind of telling of the state of sex education when it’s not until we’re adults watching a dirty cartoon that we actually learn something!

@CookieMonster oh no, really? I still have a few more episodes to watch, I should probably binge through it soon in case it is taken off! I’ve been seeing nothing but rave reviews though so I’m not too worried. 

CookieMonster
    Participant
    DeftRat
    Participant

I’ve only just started watching it! I really hope it doesn’t get taken down @CookieMonster. It is thoroughly hilarious from an adult point of view. Captures the good, the bad, and the ugly.

teatea

I freaking LOVE the show!! The way they portrayed puberty was sssooo good and honest and totally something we need more of. My fave episode was probably the vagina one..er I mean vulva. The fact that they pointed out this common mistake people make on terminology and the facts was sssssoooo good. I hope they don’t ban it because they got green-lit for a second season!

CookieMonster
    Participant

@tea YAY so glad it has the green light. such a funny yet surprising informative show 

TinyTeddy
    Participant

I watched it all on the weekend! I have never seen anything like it before. The best way I can describe it is Family Guy sex education. So happy Season 2 has the go ahead, I loved it! 

@tea the Girls Get Horny Too was my fav espisode as well! I was exicited to hear Kirsten Wiig voice as the vagina. 

The show doesn’t hold back which I like but there were some scenes that kinda irked me. Was it just me or was there an anti vax reference? 

HoneyPot

Aaaaahhh little Kristen Wiig Vagina was so great <3

teatea

@TinyTeddy Yeah I think there was? There were a few bits I caught during the series which felt a bit..off? Idk

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 20 total)
  • The forum ‘Hanging Out’ is closed to new topics and replies.