Body Positivity - Play Safe Forum Topics
Use this button to quickly leave the website
Quick Exit
Visit the blog

Home Forums Hanging Out Body Positivity

Viewing 13 posts - 16 through 28 (of 28 total)
  • Author
    peachy
    Participant

@EarthMama that’s amazing! I’m super feminist and know it’s all a ploy but I just can’t get to a place where I truly truly believe my body is beautiful and I’m not self-conscious about my thighs and stomach. I like the deep breathing technique, I just wish I knew how to not let photoshopped models affect me subconsciously, you know? 

EarthMamaEarthMama

@tea absolutely you are not alone! I really feel that recognising how common the struggle is can help debunk the whole perfection debacle. If pretty much everyone feels this way- who are we comparing ourselves to?? I heard this saying once that goes: ‘if we were to throw all our problems in a pile, we would probably take ours back.’ I think the same sort of goes for body image. Our bodies are beautiful simply because they are ours. We need them and they need us. Obviously it takes time to get the balance right, but I think ultimately practicing loving and accepting ourselves can really help. As my yoga teacher says: ‘It’s yoga practice, not yoga perfect” 😉 

I totally feel that sentiment @peachy! Being super feminist and being body conscious are certainly not mutually exclusive. My advice would be try to get just a little bit angry. When you see those photo shopped images, try to train yourself to say: ‘are you serious?? I’m supposed to compare myself to that? Don’t worry body, you’re lovely and we’ve got this.’ Rather then silently living in judgement of yourself. It’s such a process, and i regularly feel like shit too. But I really feel that this is the first step. Don’t buy into these body lies. We’ve got such important things to do! 

HoneyPot

Sometimes when looking at photoshopped images and i’m like “I don’t look like that…” I try to remind myself that neither do they!

CookieMonster
    Participant

I’ve started following James smith on facey/insta he is a PT based in Bondi and is zero bullshit! he other day he posted about cellulite and just how common it is. I know the post was mainly to drum up business for himself and all that but I find it really refreshing his take on the fitness industry and body image and how we should stop comparing ourselves to others …

CookieMonster
    Participant

oh a @tea to answer the original I love my eyes! they are a blue/green colour that changes so they always look different and I get a lot of comments on them and how expressive they are… I can’t lie about anything cause my eyes give me away haha

DeftRat
    Participant

Yay for eye lovers @CookieMonster

teatea

@CookieMonster I have blue eyes too! Did you know blue eyes are actually colourless and reflect other colours? That’s why they look like they change colours a lot! (Mine fluctuate from bright blue to a grey-blue, sometimes green!)

CookieMonster
    Participant

@tea oh wow really!!! that is so cool. My eyes go grey blue to green blue. Sometimes I think they are more green than blue haha

TinyTeddy
    Participant

Oo I didn’t know that about blue eyes! 

All the comments are heartening. It was a bit of a shock that I still immediately started to think about all the things I don’t like about my body.

But with forced deliberation, I conclude that I love the colour of my skin, which is interesting as I was embarrassed about it in my younger days. Funny how things change completely! 

EarthMamaEarthMama

No way @tea !! That is so awesome about blue eyes !

teatea

Yeah I was shocked to hear about the eye thing too! Here’s a video with more about it from Hank Green! :smiley:

EarthMamaEarthMama

Okay that is SO interesting!! Thank you for sharing that @tea ! I love Hank Green, and also my blue eyes 😛

teatea

Bringing this back because I’m really loving my strong arms right now! Spreading that body positivity around for exam season! 🙂

@tinyteddy I hope you’ve been finding a million lovely things you enjoy about your body!

Viewing 13 posts - 16 through 28 (of 28 total)
  • The forum ‘Hanging Out’ is closed to new topics and replies.