Book Club - Play Safe Forum Topics
Use this button to quickly leave the website
Quick Exit
Visit the blog

Home Forums Hanging Out Book Club

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 32 total)
  • Author
    EggplantEmoji
    Participant

The Wife Drought by Annabel Crabb is SUPER good!! 

v4wanndii
    Participant

I’m reading Gone Girl  by Gillian Flynn now. I watched the movie long ago, but got curious of how good the book is. The movie ws good, the way is way better…. Highly recommended.

mak_trouble891
    Participant

Any suggestions for like true stories or biographies?

MsBlueStreak
    Participant

@mak_trouble891 – I have a few if you like military stories. Start with Blackhawk Down by Mark Bowen.  (Mark is the Pentagon’s go to novelist/journalist these days because of this book).

mak_trouble891
    Participant

I will ready pretty much anything @MsBlueStreak. I’ll have to grab a copy and see what its like : ) thanks

MsBlueStreak
    Participant

The alphabet soup of about 100 special operatives from both Delta and the Rangers will make it a complicated read… but the story is fantastic.

mak_trouble891
    Participant

Sounds interesting. I love reading about other peoples lives and lived experiences. I read a book a few years a go called ‘The girl with no name’ – awesome book. She was kidnapped and raised by monkeys in the jungle. Its so interesting because she was take when she was so young and began to act like the monkeys she lived with in order to survive.

EggplantEmoji
    Participant

Andre Agassi’s autobiography was surprisingly good (and I don’t even like tennis!). Amy Poehler, Mindy Kaling and Sarah Silverman all have quite fun autobiographies too 🙂

NickiPower
    Participant

I second @EggplantEmoji’s suggestion of Amy Poehler and Mindy Kaling – they’re books are quite enjoyable (and I learnt a lot from Yes Please!)

teatea

I really want to get back into reading! More specifically into some sexual health-related books that aren’t so..academic? I’ve seen a few good ones in Kinokuniya but I was wondering if anyone had some they could recommend? 

PurplePurple

I’m reading Margaret Atwood’s The Blind Assassin! All of her works is really amazing, highly recommended.

MintMilanoMintMilano

I’m currently reading ‘The Subtle Art of Not Giving a F*ck’ by Mark Manson and honestly it’s been kind of life changing. I also read the Velvet Rage, thats kinda aimed specifically at gay men though, but yeah been on a bit of a self-help book binge lately 

EarthMamaEarthMama

This is not specifically sexual health related @tea but I would go as far to call this related to every aspect of life/life changing. Tiny, Beautiful Things by Cheryl Strayed. If I could read one non-fiction book for the rest of my life- it would be this one! 

@MintMilano I was worried that the ‘The Subtle Art…’ was all about the hype and so never sought it out. In what ways have you found it life-changing?

MintMilanoMintMilano

@EarthMama The title is actually somewhat misleading. But the jist of it is that in life we really care about so many things that just don’t matter that much and that aren’t important. Learning to not care about things is important because it leaves room for the important things that you actually do “give a f*ck about”. And basically just the standard and values we hold ourselves to can be unrealistic, which is why we can try so hard to better ourselves but still not be happy. I’m only about halfway through but I’m loving it so far. 

mak_trouble891
    Participant

I’ve just starting reading ‘The Golden Child’ by Wendy James. It has a really interesting format compared to what I am use to. Before each chapter there is like a blog post entry from the main character and other peoples responses. Its interesting as it kind of gives another dimension to the story and characters.

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 32 total)
  • The forum ‘Hanging Out’ is closed to new topics and replies.