The fun stuff
NSW Government

Home Forums Sexual Health Herpes Diagnosis

This topic contains 35 replies, has 12 voices, and was last updated by tea tea 1 year, 6 months ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 36 total)
  • Author

Participant

Thank you all for your kindness, it honestly means so much to me. I know this isn’t a counselling site and I really don’t mean to dump it on everyone, but just know you’ve really helped me. @mintmilano can I ask what antivirals you take? I was taking Lysine twice a day but still had this outbreak. I’ll be speaking to the doctor about it on Friday but maybe I need to take Valtrex instead once a day, as I recall that’s the recommended dose.

MintMilano
    MintMilano

@12345 happy to help 🙂 I think Valtrex is a brand, but I think it uses the same antivirals as the one I take which is valaciclovir (the brand is Vaclovir). I was given that to treat herpes episodically but I found I was so anxious about it that it was more effective for my mental health to just take one every day, and my doctor said that was fine. I don’t know what the difference is between that and Lysine (hopefully @nurse_nettie might be able to help with that) but definitely speak to your doctor about it to decide if its right for you. 

MintMilano
    MintMilano

Oh also I should that since I’ve been taking them from the start I don’t actually know if they’re completely preventing any outbreaks, since I’ve heard that sometimes it’s possible for people to have a single first outbreak and then not have a recurrence for very long time, if ever. So I’m possibly lucky like that, but I’m also not really game to take that chance so I will still to the daily antivirals. I have a better sex life knowing that I’m doing everything I can to prevent passing it on to my partner(s) 🙂 and a healthy sex life is just as much about your mental health and frame of mind and sexuality as it is about the physical health of your genitals! 

Nurse_Nettie
    Nurse_Nettie
    Keymaster

@12345 I’d really encourage you to get the prescription antiviral medication to help with painful symptoms. Valtrex is one brand name, but Valaciclovir, Acyclovir & Famciclovir are the three actual drugs which decrease the severity of herpes symptoms, the length of time till healing, & the number of recurrences (if taken daily). There has been some research to suggest Lysine helps as well, but it’s definitely not as effective as the prescriptions. 

Participant

Thank you @mintmilano and @nurse_nettie, when I see the doctor tomorrow I’m going to get a doctors prescription and ask her if it’s okay for me to take Valtrex for a really long time just to keep my emotions in check. I know people who have taken it every day for years and haven’t had an outbreak and I think that’s really what I need to do. Thanks!

RoseHill
    Participant

Hey @12345 thanks for sharing! How did your appointment go? Are you feeling any better?

Two of my best friends have had the same experience! Both caught type 1 genitally from one night stands and had a tough time coming to terms with it and disclosing. It is so common, I totally agree with you – more people should be informed about it. Those who are uncomfortable with it are just the ones who don’t know enough about it, which is tough because its hard to tell how much someone knows/how open they are before dating them. 

I guess my only advice (something that my friends do now) is to pick and choose who you disclose to/sleep with a bit more carefully. They each had one experience of a guy freaking out when they told them about it – but they were the dickheads who wouldn’t have stuck around anyway. The good guys who they ended up dating long-term were super cool about it when they first told them. Chances are the ones you really like and are worth being with are the ones who will understand. It may suck cause it limits chances for casual sex a little bit but it might be worth it in the long run!

Participant

Hi @rosehill thanks for your message. The appointment was okay, my doctor pretty much said that I’ve worked myself into such a state of stress that my symptoms were prolonged, but she’s put me on a prescription of one antiviral every day for six months so hopefully it’ll keep it all at bay. I’m not really feeling better at all, but that’s okay. I would rather be celibate, I think it’s the right decision for me. I wouldn’t be able to cope with another rejection. I really do believe it would be almost impossible to recover from and might result in an even worse depression. Thanks for your kind and thoughtful words though!

ekoorb9
    Keymaster

@12345 I’m so sorry to hear that you are having another flare up and you’re always welcome here if you ever need advice or support.

Please make sure you follow @nurse_nettie and your doctor’s advice as that will really help with the physical side of things. 

My friend has Herpes and she finds it flairs up when she is stressed, or after a big night out. Basically ,whenever she isn’t looking after herself!

Maybe try meditation, yoga, eating well, things like that to help you relax and feel better in general. 

It’s a shame to swear off sex forever – you will meet people who understand. There’s good people out there!!! 

Nurse_Nettie
    Nurse_Nettie
    Keymaster

@12345 If you’re feeling depressed please make sure that you stay connected with support in real life too. Are you still seeing a psychologist? Of course you’re always welcome here as well!  🙂 

Participant

Hi @nurse_nettie thank you. I do have support in real life, but my anxiety is really bad now that the outbreak has been going for almost 2.5 weeks and still no signs of healing which I don’t think is normal. I went to the doctor on Friday and the longer it goes the more anxious I am becoming  🙁 My doctor says it’s an anxiety problem but it’s hard to not be anxious thinking it may last for 4 weeks which it probably will at this rate or even longer like 2+ months or something. I do exercise/breathing exercises etc but nothing seems to be working. 

Participant

@ekoorb9 thank you for your comments as well. I do try and do meditation and yoga but find it doesn’t help with dealing with the anxiety that comes from having an outbreak. It helps day to day with anxiety but as soon as I have an outbreak I just can’t handle my anxiety well at all. As soon as the outbreak goes I feel like I’ll be back to normal and feeling more myself – just have to wait it out I guess.

stephaniaaaah
    stephaniaaaah
    Keymaster

Hey @12345 I have quite long episodes of outbreaks too and sometimes have one after the other after the other – which I agree is incredibly stressful (and sometimes painful).  I really found that a prescription for medication that @nurse_nettie talked about has helped reduce my outbreaks so they are barely visible and gone in a few days.  I have found the headspace app really good for giving me a tool to manage my anxiety too. 

Participant

Hi @stephaniaaaah thank you. I’ve been taking valtrex since I first felt ~that tingle~ (3 weeks ago) and have been taking it morning and night since then and the outbreak hasn’t improved at all. It really is just an anxiety thing, my doctor said that it’s virtually unheard of for a type 1 outbreak to last so long which of course has made me more anxious. I’m feeling so anxious/sad about it that it’s just not improving. I really need to relax – proving very difficult for me. I’ll look at the headspace app for sure. Thanks again. 

HappyHooHah
    Participant

Hi @12345

I recently went through a tough time myself and I want to share some places with you that really helped me through it all.

I had depression growing up so my first instinct was to seek help from my doctor and ask for a referral to see a bulk-billing psychologist. From this referral, you can have up to 10 sessions for free with a review after your 6th to obtain the extra 4. 

At one point during a really rough time, I was in touch with the mental health care team at my local hospital. I spoke with a psychologist there in the early hour’s of the morning and for the next few weeks, someone called me every couple of days to touch base. I was feeling much better but it was very reassuring to know there is always someone there for you if you need to chat. 

There is also a number to call which I was told about but haven’t sued where you can call and someone can come and sit with you at any time fo the day or night when you really aren’t coping. Oh, and they have an online chat for those who would prefer not to talk over the phone!

Shout out to the NSW police who also reached out and made a couple of phone calls to check up on me. Gotta say, super impressed and grateful for the services out there right now!

Hang in there, there are some really supportive people in this world who are here to help!

HappyHooHah
    Participant

Hi @12345
    How are things going?

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 36 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Search