The fun stuff
NSW Government

Home Forums Sexual Health Herpes Diagnosis

This topic contains 35 replies, has 12 voices, and was last updated by tea tea 1 year, 6 months ago.

Viewing 6 posts - 31 through 36 (of 36 total)
  • Author

Participant

@happyhoohah thank you for the resources. You are obviously such a great person to go to the time of writing that. I’ve seen a counsellor in the past but am a psychologist myself so know quite a bit about what to do to manage anxiety but I really think my anxiety will go away once there is a cure, as depressing and stubborn as that sounds. I’m feeling a bit better overall but still pretty up and down. 

@nurse_nettie my outbreak has been going for close to three weeks now, should I go back to my doctor and see if there’s another medication or something else I can try? Or should I just keep giving it time? I’ve taken 2 Valtrex a day and used about three tubes of Zovirax but nothing’s changed. I went last Friday – a week ago and she said that I have to relax and try to manage my anxiety and I feel like I have a little bit but still, nothing seems to be improving  :'( Thank you in advance

Nurse_Nettie
    Nurse_Nettie
    Keymaster

@12345 As miserable as it sounds, it’s not unheard of for symptoms to last a few weeks. It’s more common for this to happen when a person is having their first outbreak, but it sounds like you might just be having a particularly bad run of it. Are you in pain or is it more the distress of knowing it’s not fully resolved yet? If it’s pain, you may want to go back to the doctor to request alternative painkillers. For example, topical lignocaine. If you’re unable to pass urine or you’re holding it to avoid discomfort, that can itself lead to problems & is a reason to return to the doctor for review. 

The Valtrex is unlikely to be helping much this time since I believe you started it well after symptoms first appeared (it’s most effective in the first 24-48 hours after you notice symptoms). Hopefully that means if you take the antivirals sooner next time you’ll have much less severe/long-lasting symptoms. 

Participant

Thanks @nurse_nettie sorry if it’s TMI but it’s just itchy not actually painful, and I’m just distressed because my doctor said that it’s not normal for HSV1 to have lasted close to 2 weeks (and now it’s 3.) But good to know that it’s not unheard of. I actually did start taking Valtrex as soon as I felt like an outbreak was coming on, but was not taking Valtrex before the symptoms started. I guess it’s just a waiting game  🙁

Nurse_Nettie
    Nurse_Nettie
    Keymaster

@12345 If it’s still itchy & not improving, it may be more an issue of stress & hyper-attention on that area due to anxiety, than HSV1. There’s something called the itch-scratch cycle as well. This means that scratching itself can cause the sensation of itchiness. As others have suggested, self-care plus psychological support are so important for getting through this sort of thing. 

Participant

Thanks @nurse_nettie it has improved over the weekend and seems to be clear now, so I’m hoping if I just remain positive this will be the end of the outbreak. I wasn’t scratching but was definitely thinking about it constantly. I need to improve on self care and not beat myself up about it and think that it was a punishment for having a one night stand  🙁 I know a lot of CBT techniques and everything but it’s very hard when my family believes sex should be reserved for long term relationships and marriages and that’s been entrenched in me from a young age. Thanks to everyone again for listening to me.

tea
    tea

hey @12345 I really do hope your symptoms keep clearing and that you feel better soon :heart: Definitely keeping on top of self-care is an a great step, and super important!! Totally an overlooked aspect when it comes to HSV-1. I’ve returned to uni this week and yep, first day back and I had an outbreak, there wasn’t even anything there the night before AND I put zovirax on overnight just in case!! Typical. I’ve learnt to just accept the fact that these little scab demons are in my life now, instead of hiding in my room for weeks on end I just slap a cold sore patch on and get on with things. Sucks when it lasts weeks though, which happens to me a lot (I think my longest was 2 months?) so I can understand how you might be feeling right now. BUT remember these little scabby demons aren’t YOU! You’ve got this, just keep up with your self-care and your preventative methods and things will work themselves out! 🙂

Viewing 6 posts - 31 through 36 (of 36 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Search