How to do a breast check? - Play Safe Forum Topics
Use this button to quickly leave the website
Quick Exit
Visit the blog

Home Forums Nurse Nettie How to do a breast check?

Tagged: 

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    curiousss

Hi @nurse_nettie I was wondering if you have any information or resources on how to do a breast check? This is something I don’t know much about but want to learn 🙂 And is this something young people should be doing? Thanks!

Nurse_NettieNurse_Nettie
    Keymaster

Hi @curiousss, great question! We used to say everyone should check their breasts the same way a doctor would do it. But we’ve learned through research that the most important thing isn’t technique, it’s just getting to know the usual feel of your breasts so you can easily recognise when something isn’t right. This is called breast awareness and it’s important for people of all ages, including young people. Family Planning NSW lays out what you need to know here. I also like this video made by journalist/illustrator/producer Mona Chalabi.

RaincoatRaincoat

I was actually googling this today @curiousss thanks for the asking this!

I’m definitely going to check out these links later on @nurse_nettie I’m really keen to learn more about the best ways to check myself and keep an eye on any changes to my breasts.

curiousss

Thanks so much @nurse_nettie I’m feeling much more confident in how to perform a breast check myself now 🙂

-_-
    Participant

Hey @nurse_nettie I love that video! Thanks for sharing 🙂 Do you have any tips for doing a breast check for someone with implants? I guess the principle is the same but I find it hard to do such a thorough check when there’s something in the way haha.

Nurse_NettieNurse_Nettie
    Keymaster

Hi @yogigirl, that’s a good question. The difference when you’ve had implants is knowing where the edges of the implants are so you can focus on your actual breast tissue. Your surgeon is the best resource for helping you to feel where this is, but any doctor can probably help guide you if you’re not sure.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • The forum ‘Nurse Nettie’ is closed to new topics and replies.