IUD removal - Play Safe Forum Topics
Use this button to quickly leave the website
Quick Exit
Visit the blog

Home Forums Sexual Health IUD removal

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 30 total)
  • Author
    teatea

So I’m due for my IUD (Mirena) removal in June this year and I’ve decided to get rid of it and switch to the pill.

It’s been a really hard decision for me to make but I think it’s the right one for me. I’m not having PV sex and just want something to control my periods with. Having the new information of the sugar pills not being necessary to take every month has made this decision easier, I just don’t want/need to bleed every month! [You can read more about the pill and that new information on this thread here]

The only thing I would be concerned about is whether I’ll be more likely to develop cysts on my ovaries from not having an IUD anymore since I was prone to them prior (but don’t have endometriosis or PCOS) @nurse_nettie would you have any information on this?

I’m making an appointment with my GP to discuss my options before the removal, but I’ll post my ongoing journey with the IUD removal here for anyone interested or considering that option as well.

Have you ever had an IUD? What’s your experience with one? How did you go with removal? What kind of contraception do you use if it’s not an IUD?

Can the pill stop periods? | IUD Removal Information | Long-acting contraception

GoldenRoseGoldenRose

I had the IUD years ago but had it removed after a few months because I was getting my period every 2 weeks on it. The removal was fine for me but I guess I had only had it in for a few months so maybe that affected it?

I switched to the pill after and was on it for about 3 or 4 years and I really liked the fact that I could skip my periods if I liked and I found that being on the pill made my periods less painful (even now after not using the pill for over a year) as they were really painful before.

kitkat

I’m on my second IUD! I’m a huge fan – I got on it for period control bc I was missing like 10 days of school a month (well before I was sexually active) and then got a second one when the first was finished bc I was such a fan! Removal though I was lucky – I had it done in hospital under general, because I was having some other investigations done, so I think I had it easier than most in that regard.

teatea

@goldenrose I’m really worried about how much the removal will hurt tbh!!! How was yours?

@kitkat
    ah wow so lucky!! I had mine inserted under general, but I won’t be doing the same with removal so I’m pretty nervous! I was thinking about getting a second one because it’s been mostly a good time, but I still get some spotting here and there which I feel like the pill could fix?

GoldenRoseGoldenRose

I don’t remember it hurting too much, I feel like it was a bit sore and tender afterwards similar to when you get it inserted but nothing too bad. Mine was put in and taken out with just a local anaesthetic so once that wears off it can be a bit sore but I guess everyone’s body reacts differently.

Nurse_NettieNurse_Nettie
    Keymaster

@tea, the IUD (Mirena) is more likely to cause ovarian cysts than the combined oral contraceptive pill. These cysts tend to resolve on there own without any need for treatment.
    You should be fine with the pill, it reduces the ovarian cysts & symptoms of polycystic ovarian syndrome (PCOS).

teatea

@sextronaut Oh good to know there’s still local! I’ll ask my GP about it before I book in the procedure.

@nurse_nettie
    Oh! Good to know! Are there any other contraceptives which can control/minimise periods? If I could just never have them again I would!

Nurse_NettieNurse_Nettie
    Keymaster

@tea A lot of contraceptives have the benefit of reducing or stopping periods. Not everyone responds the same though. A lot of people using Mirena IUD, contraceptive implant (Implanon rod in your arm), or getting the Depo injection will either stop getting periods or have only spotting. Check out my blogs on contraception here & here for more info.

There are pros & cons for every type of contraception. It’s worth having a chat with your doctor about which one is right for you 🙂

GoldenRoseGoldenRose

Omg massive oops moment for me, I was talking about the implanon (the one that goes in your arm) not the IUD!! I don’t know why I thought they were the same! haha ignore my previous comments on this thread.

teatea

@nurse_nettie Thanks so much for those links! I’ll definitely have a chat with my GP about which one would be best for me at the moment!

@goldenrose
    oops! How did you find the implanon?

GoldenRoseGoldenRose

@tea My implanon experience wasn’t too great as I got my period every 2 weeks so I had it removed after a few months but I know a few girls who have it and said they didn’t get their period the whole time they were on it so I think it depends on the person on how you will react to it. I just liked the idea of not having to remember to take a pill at the same time every day.

teatea

Ah yeah, that’s very true @goldenrose! Hmm, I think I might not want to get the pill either after hearing about it making you sick and all the extra hormones from other people – a lot of people I know have stopped taking it because of these reasons, but I don’t know how true it is?

Can’t I just have no periods and no pregnancy thanks

GoldenRoseGoldenRose

@tea Haha I know! It’s so hard sometimes to find the right fit for of contraception for your body. I stopped taking the pill a while ago, now I just use condoms as my contraception method.

Here’s an article that a friend of mine wrote about the different side effects of the pill and her experience with it which I found quite interesting. I’m not saying everyone should just throw theirs in the bin but it may be helpful to those who are experiencing some side effects.

Why women are throwing their contraceptive pill in the bin

teatea

UPDATE: omg so I just had my IUD removed!!!!!!

Honestly, this was the hardest decision I have ever had to make! I wasn’t sure if I should get another IUD or go on the pill after but I’ve decided to just let my body do its own thing for a while.

I don’t need to worry about pregnancy at the moment so contraceptive devices aren’t necessary for me at this point in time.

Did it hurt? YES! Look, this is what I was mostly worried about because I’ve heard so many horror stories from friends saying how much it hurts during and after!! BUT, it really only hurt for the two seconds I was getting the IUD out! A little ouchy, but not unbearable pain.

I feel soooo relieved! But now what? My GP said I can expect some spotting here and there and it could take a few weeks to months for my period to go back to the way it was before I had my IUD in. So I guess I just wait?

If you have any questions about the whole process I would love to answer them!!

sextronautsextronaut

@tea I’m getting a hormonal IUD in one week! How were your cramps after your insertion? I’m preparing for the worst but I’ve got an appointment the next morning and a weekend-long family gathering. Were you completely bed-bound like some of the horror stories I’ve heard?!

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 30 total)
  • The forum ‘Sexual Health’ is closed to new topics and replies.