IUD removal - Play Safe Forum Topics
Use this button to quickly leave the website
Quick Exit
Visit the blog

Home Forums Sexual Health IUD removal

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 30 total)
  • Author
    teatea

tw: abortion

Ohh how exciting @sextronaut! I hope your insertion goes well – I’ve heard it hurts but I had mine done surgically with anaesthetic so I have no idea.

What I CAN tell you though is that yes, unfortunately, I was bedbound after. Though I did have an abortion at the same time as insertion so I can’t say which I was impacted by. I’ve had friends who have had the Mirena and had little problems with it though. My advice would be to listen to your body and give it everything it needs. If you need bed rest, you should give it all you’ve got – family gathering or not!

It’s been 5 days since I’ve had mine removed and I’ve been experiencing some of the side-effects of that.

I’m moody. Like, REALLY moody. I feel like having sex all the time!! I’m starving, even after eating. I’m bloated and I have a few cramps, but not that much.

I came across something called ‘the Mirena crash’ which I’ll link to a couple of articles I’ve found at the bottom here. But apparently it’s not that talked about, would be keen to hear @nurse_nettie’s thoughts on this! The internet says I should be back to normal once my hormones chill out in a few weeks until then I’m left feeling like a teenage boy going through puberty.

One Year Later | 10 facts about the Mirena Crash | Buzzfeed: Mirena Crash

-_-
    Participant

@sextronaut good luck with the insertion – when I had mine inserted at Family Planning I forgot to take my naprogesic which I think made it a little more ‘ouchy’ but I find with anything painful some focused deep belly breathing helps out. I had some pretty bad cramping for the next two days afterwards but then was fine, and really loved my IUD (minimised the duration of my periods and minimised pain).

@tea
    I had a crash when I got mine removed as well! Super moody and some cramping in the few days afterwards it passed pretty quick though!

sextronautsextronaut

Thanks for the advice @tea and @stephaniaaaah! I’m getting super nervous about it but I’m sure it’ll all be fine.
    How was your first period after insertion?

So interesting about the crash! I’ve never even thought about it!

Nurse_NettieNurse_Nettie
    Keymaster

Hi @tea @stephaniaaaah, I looked far & wide in my research & spoke to medical experts in contraception & reproductive health. There is no current evidence to support the theory of ‘the Mirena Crash.’ The Mirena actually has a lower dose of hormones than many other contraceptives like the oral contraceptive pill & the implant. The good news it’s still very effective in preventing pregnancy. If you have any concerns about this or have signs that you think may be related it’s ok to talk to your doctor about it.

sextronautsextronaut

Good to know the medical information about this, thanks @nurse_nettie!

-_-
    Participant

Thanks for the info @nurse_nettie 🙂

@sextronaut
    I can’t really remember to be honest all I remember is that after a few months I noticed that they were much less heavier and I had a reduction in pain and cramping – it got to the point where my periods lasted like a day or so. (I am off contraception now and use condoms so back to a 7 day period SIGH) – I know the thought of insertion is scary – but you will go okay!! Keep us posted!

sextronautsextronaut

@stephaniaaaah it finally happened! It was totally fine, I just haven’t stopped spotting since Saturday. Hopefully it stops soon and I have an easy time with it!

teatea

@sextronaut Oh congratulations on your new contraception! I think there should be parties for that in the same way you’d have a baby announcement hahaha! Do you know how long the spotting is meant to last for?

sextronautsextronaut

@tea thank you!! I agree, there should be celebratory parties for a new form of contraception. From all the resources I’ve found, symptoms like irregular bleeding and spotting can last for up to 6 months while your body adjusts to it’s new little anti-baby friend. Hopefully it eases up soon, I’m already sick of having to deal with it and it’s only been a week!

-_-
    Participant

@tea so glad to hear that it went well! Are you still having spotting?? I agree there should be YAY I got a LARC party too 🙂 hopefully once things settle down for you both @sextronaut you’ll really enjoy the benefits of it.

How are you feeling about the ‘string’ I found that a little bit weird feeling it poking out at first but got used to it pretty quickly

sextronautsextronaut

@stephaniaaaah Still spotting, yeah. Thank god for my period undies, they’re my saving grace right now.

I don’t find the strings too odd, I’m just semi-obsessed with checking them to make sure the IUD hasn’t moved! I’m sure I’ll chill out about it after a few more weeks but right now because it’s so new (and the likelihood of it moving in the first month is a little higher than usual) I’m just making sure.

teatea

@sextronaut Yeah I was one of those 6-month bleeders! How is your IUD doing now?

sextronautsextronaut

@tea oh it’s the worst! My spotting stopped after 3 months – if it continued any longer I was prepared to give up. I can’t believe you made it all the way through the 6 months!
    My vulva was so unhappy using period products every single day, particularly without my menstrual cup! I wasn’t bleeding enough for tampons to be worth it (cost + discomfort of a dry tampon, ugh) so I was using a combo of period undies/reusable liners/disposable liners so I was ALWAYS wearing underwear. I usually sleep without underwear/naked so I can let my bits breath, and not being able to do this just felt gross. I noticed a difference in the health of my vulva during that time, it sucked.

But now, my IUD is pretty good! After the spotting stopped I didn’t get my period for about 3 months, and then I just had one out of the blue. But I freaking love not bleeding as regularly, it’s so great.
    The only thing is that the people who inserted it cut my strings way too short! I can barely feel them myself (some days I can’t at all) and the doctor who examined me on my 3 month check couldn’t see them, so I needed an ultrasound to check it was in the right spot. I imagine I’ll probably need an ultrasound to check it’s placement if anyone ever needs to check again. Who knows how they’re going to get it out. It’s a little annoying, I’m still adjusting to trusting it as a form of contraception (because I can’t physically see it), so not being able to feel the strings all the time isn’t helpful!

-_-
    Participant

@sextronaut glad things have settled down for you, sounds like quite the adjustment in the beginning and a dry tampon. UGH. How great is it when your period slows right down (mine only lasted a day I think!)

Oh no about the strings, I found it good to be able to feel them but it was also a little bit weird for me. I think they can get them out pretty easy even if the strings are short so I am sure if you’ve got any questions about that @nurse_nettie might have an idea.

Nurse_NettieNurse_Nettie
    Keymaster

Hi @sextronaut @stephaniaaaah…did you know that almost one in five women with an IUD can’t feel their strings? True. It’s because the strings can bundle or get tucked in the cervical opening or vaginal folds or they can be cut short too. It’s great that you’re aware of your menstrual changes. One of the concerns about not feeling the strings is whether the IUD is in the right place & is working. Symptoms like a change in vaginal discharge, change in menstrual pattern, pain or bleeding with sex or lower pelvic pain are all signals to get the IUD checked again by a doctor.

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 30 total)
  • The forum ‘Sexual Health’ is closed to new topics and replies.