Pap Smear - Play Safe Forum Topics
Use this button to quickly leave the website
Quick Exit
Visit the blog

Home Forums Nurse Nettie Pap Smear

Tagged: 

Viewing 8 posts - 16 through 23 (of 23 total)
  • Author
    ElleBelle
    Participant

Wow, that’s good to know! Imagine asking for a Papanicolaou Test 🙂

Kit
    Participant

@Aunt_Flo Oh wow, so was it like an option for you in a clinic? That sounds good to have choice.

Aunt_FloAunt_Flo

@Kit yeah! The gyn mentioned it was an up and coming technique that they could do while also performing the normal screening. 

MsBlueStreak
    Participant

This from the federal government’s Cancer Screening website: 
    http://www.cancerscreening.gov.au/internet/screening/publishing.nsf/content/future-changes-cervical

The new test will become standard and covered by Medicare from 1 May next year.

Kit
    Participant

^^ Haha I love that idea of an ‘exit test’. Does it make anyone else laugh? Or is it just me comparing it to exit interviews and therefore jobs…..

ElleBelle
    Participant

I’m a bit confused by the new testing. Are they only testing for HPV now? Is there a danger that it will miss cervical cancer caused by other things?

Nurse_NettieNurse_Nettie
    Keymaster

Hi @ElleBelle, new science & technology is often confusing! Almost all cases of cervical cancer are caused by persisting ‘high risk’ types of HPV infection. These are types of HPV that we know are likely to cause cancerous changes (there’re many types of HPV that are harmless too). Performing the current pap test alone unfortunately is not accurate enough to identify these particular high risk types of HPV and women may require more investigations if HPV infection continues. The new testing methods are more accurate and will provide more detail. It’s important to know that any unusual signs of vaginal bleeding or pain should always be investigated too.

ElleBelle
    Participant

Thats good to know. Thanks @Nurse_Nettie!

Viewing 8 posts - 16 through 23 (of 23 total)
  • The forum ‘Nurse Nettie’ is closed to new topics and replies.