Sex Education - Netflix Show - Play Safe Forum Topics
Use this button to quickly leave the website
Quick Exit
Visit the blog

Home Forums Hanging Out Sex Education – Netflix Show

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 18 total)
  • Author
    sextronautsextronaut

Has anyone else started watching ‘Sex Education’ on Netflix?! I’ve just finished episode 2 and it’s so great! It reminds me a lot of Skins, but a little more light hearted. It’s about school kids exploring sex and sexuality and the main character’s mum is a sex therapist. I highly recommend it so far, if you’ve seen it let’s chat about it!

curiousss

Sounds cool! Thanks for the tip i’ll check it out! Is it Australian? or overseas?

sextronautsextronaut

@curiousss it’s British 🙂

GoldenRoseGoldenRose

@sextronaut I was looking at the trailer last night and thought it would be a cool show to check out, will have to give it a watch tonight!

teatea

@sextronaut I’m SO glad you made a thread about this because I was just going to haha

I’m 4 episodes in right now and yeah it totally does have a ‘skins’ feel to it !! Episode three was heavy *trigger warning* and discusses abortion but WOW was I impressed with the way they handled everything. The scenes they showed, the discussions. Please come back and tell me your thoughts on that episode once you’ve watched it!

I love the overall concept of the show and how it’s destigmatising sex. Also, love Meryl Streep. Goals: to be the mum.

sextronautsextronaut

@tea Oh my gosh, I binged the rest of it! I LOVED episode three and how they depicted her experience in the abortion clinic. In fact, I love how they depicted everything. Very ‘real’, vulnerable and complex. I love this show so much.

I got confused for a second when you said Meryl Streep, do you mean Gillian Anderson? I love the character of Jean so much, I want to be her too! It was lovely to see how being so open sexually with your child has flaws and faults though and has definitely made me reconsider how I want to parent.

teatea

@sextronaut oh woops that’s who I meant! hahah yeah it’s definitely a model I’d parent by too! Even having sex related art around the house was so cool and something I’m going to start getting more into (I have my sex toys on display atm because they’re so pretty but some nice art pieces would be good too!)

EarthMamaEarthMama

OK @tea, @sextronaut – I AM LIVING FOR THIS SHOW RIGHT NOW! Especially episode three! Wow- to how they depicted everything around abortion. I was so moved and in awe of how bravely it was acted and directed. I love the sentimentality and seriousness, coupled with wry, tongue-in-cheek humour. And the masturbation scene episode 5!! Priceless! I HOPE THEY DO MORE SEASONS!!!

teatea

@earthmama YES HOW GOOD WAS THAT EPISODE??? I am in love with this positive media representation right now surrounding sex and also body empowerment!! (see Nike + Gillette)

I haven’t gotten to episode five yet but I’m sooo here for that omg yesss positive body exploration!!!

EarthMamaEarthMama

I CANNOT WAIT FOR SEASON TWO!!! I cannot remember being this excited about a show in a long time.I feel like they’ve taken my heart and put it on the screen <3

kitkat

I have like nothing to add but I’m completely obsessed and can’t wait for it! I love the frank, chill, open, not super sexed up (if that makes sense??) discussions of sex and sexuality and gender

Will

I mean…. I liked it… But what annoys me was the pandering to the weird UK/US cross over. Having the kids in a UK school wearing no uniform, and the way they spoke was not how UK kids would.

There is a really good episode when a character has an abortion, and a really nice moment between the patients going through something together.

I would definitely recommend the show, though; Big Mouth is much more of a bigger recommendation.

sextronautsextronaut

@will I’ve seen a lot of opinions like this! Something I’ve heard though is that the choice about this might be so it’s not remade into an ‘American’ show like Skins and The Office have been. While it’s a bit odd to start with, I think it’s good that they’ve tried to make it relevant for people in different parts of the world. 🙂

DirtyChai

Just bringing this back up into the threads because season 3 comes out next week! SO KEEN 🙂

curiousss

YESSS so excited for season three!!

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 18 total)
  • The forum ‘Hanging Out’ is closed to new topics and replies.