University and group work - Play Safe Forum Topics
Use this button to quickly leave the website
Quick Exit
Visit the blog

Home Forums Hanging Out University and group work

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 19 total)
  • Author
    mak_trouble891
    Participant

Hey guys

As many of us are students, or have been, I was wondering what your experiences and opinions of group work are. I currently have a group work assignment at uni and I am about to metaphorically hurt my group members as a result of frustration. Some people are just so lazy.
    Thoughts?

Aunt_FloAunt_Flo

Hey @map_891 I haven’t had the best experiences with them. Online discussions don’t give people the same push to try as face to face tutorials do. Super frustrating!

mak_trouble891
    Participant

Hey @Aunt_Flo in a way I’m glad I’m not the only one. I can’t say I have had many online tutorials, but definitely the online emailing between group members can be a nightmare!

Aunt_FloAunt_Flo

I’ve used an online message board and emails and both were an uncoordinated nightmare! Making a facebook group has been the best way to navigate online group work in my opinion.

Big_Mama
    Participant

@map_891 Don’t be afraid to call people out on their laziness. 

Zah
    Participant

@map_891 , I think groupwork is a universally awful experience that universities use as some sick excuse of a character building exercise, lol. I’ve found that groups get a bit more functional a few years into your degree, but for now you should speak to your tutor about whats going on. They can probably give you some tips on how to motivate your other group members, and if everything does fall apart then at least your tutor will know that you were actually putting in the effort! Good luck with it 🙂

Gemini
    Participant

Errghhh group work is the worst! There’s always a few sneaky people who hide at the edge doing as little as possible and your final grade relying on the motivation of others just seems unfair I say!

Aunt_FloAunt_Flo

A lot of universities are starting to do peer evaluation forms, where you can let tutors know if a group member hasn’t been contributing as much. I’ve done this, but you feel a little guilty afterwards!  😐

EggplantEmoji
    Participant

mak_trouble891
    Participant

Hey @Big_Mama I did that the other day and made them cry, omg I felt so bad afterwards

blithe
    Participant

@EggplantEmoji That is awesome! 🙂 
    I have to say, when I was teaching, group work produced the best projects! My students (in digital media) came up with the most amazing, complex projects. Better, I think, than they could have done alone.
    Sarah

RoseHill
    Participant

I always think a facebook group message is the best way to go.. possibly not as professional as using uni email accounts but definitely gets peoples attention. How annoying is it to constantly be getting notifications from a group message!? Highly effective! 😉

CloakOfAsh
    Participant

@blithe I found that through my music and design degrees I had amazing groups – everyone was on level and committed. My business/marketing on the other hand….. Perhaps it was because of a larger cohort but there was a lot of slackers, slow learners and general duds to be in a group with. 

Big_Mama
    Participant

@map_891 whoops! I guess these things happen though, hope it all worked out ok in the end.

Gemini
    Participant

I’ve just finished my assignments for this semester!!! Wooo…it feels good to be free!!

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 19 total)
  • The forum ‘Hanging Out’ is closed to new topics and replies.