Abortion is a choice - Play Safe Forum Topics
Use this button to quickly leave the website
Quick Exit
Visit the blog

Home Forums Sexual Health Abortion is a choice

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    v4wanndii
    Participant

I  read an article about abortion in Australia yesterday and just realized that abortion is NSW is illegal (except for some cases). It is not a choice. So what would women do if they do not want to continue the unwanted pregnancy? Do they have to travel to other states where abortion is legal for the service?

Nurse_NettieNurse_Nettie
    Keymaster

Hi @v4wanndii. Abortion is legal in NSW & there are many clinics that provide these services! There’s no need to travel interstate. Each woman is assessed on a case by case basis in terms of what choices are available, how far she’s pregnant & whether a medical or surgical termination is required. For more information click here or call Family Planning Talkline on 1300 658 886 (8.30am to 5pm weekdays).

RoseHill
    Participant

I’ve been reading up on it too @v4wanndii and I understood that it is ‘legal’ in NSW but only in the case of the woman being at serious mental or physical harm (as deemed by a doctor) if she were to continue with the pregnancy. So it must be assessed and signed off by a doctor before a woman can access an abortion… she cannot simply decide to have one – no questions asked. @Nurse_Nettie is this true? I have a friend who had to go through this process and she confirmed that she had to be mentally assessed and deemed to be at ‘serious risk for mental harm’ by the doctor beforehand.

Nurse_NettieNurse_Nettie
    Keymaster

Hi @Rosehill yes you’re absolutely correct. Mental harm may also include economic or social harm during or after birth too. It’s a big commitment to have a baby & worth planning ahead for. Family Planning NSW have produced a fact sheet on their website.
    Click here for more info. The site also has some great fact sheets on contraceptive choices too.

RoseHill
    Participant

Thanks for the link @Nurse_Nettie, interesting read! Makes sense.. but it also makes me a bit nervous knowing that if I fell pregnant unexpectedly and wanted to terminate, my own decision would not be enough. My fate would be in the hands of a doctors ‘honest belief’ that I am at risk. Seems like the government/medical system is taking control of the female body, but that could just be my inner feminist talking  😀

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • The forum ‘Sexual Health’ is closed to new topics and replies.