We’re talking about sexual activity that involves your butt.
Anal play can be enjoyed by anyone of any gender or orientation and can be:
- Putting fingers or a tongue (rimming) around/inside someone’s butt
- Putting a dildo or other sex toy inside someone’s butt
- Putting a penis inside someone’s butt
There are a few things that you need to know before exploring anal sex
- Make sure you ask your partner about what they are comfortable trying. Talk to them about what you want to do and keep checking in that you’re both happy and enjoying it throughout
- Lube, Lube, Lube! Don’t start without a good water or silicon-based lube – you can get it wherever you get your condoms
- Start gently, the anus is very sensitive and can tear easily
- If something doesn’t feel right or makes you uncomfortable let your partner know. Anal play shouldn’t hurt if you are gentle and use heaps of lube
- If you’re not sure about anal play, try it by yourself first to work out what feels good for you
- If you are using toys, buy good quality and always remember to use a condom on the toy. Start small and then work your way up
- When switching between playing with the anus and genitals, make sure you get a fresh condom (on your penis or the toy), and wash your hands – hygiene is super important!
- Even if there’s no penetration with the penis, you can still get STIs like herpes, chlamydia and gonorrhoea from anal play. Protect yourself by using a condom on shared toys or dam when rimming
- Oh, and there could be a little bit of poop or unusual sounds! That’s perfectly normal and laughing about it will help take away the awkwardness. Taking a shower before or during will help keep things fresh
Most importantly, sex is meant to be enjoyable for everyone involved. Keeping yourself safe shows that you care about yourself and your partner
Remember to always use a condom, talk first and know when you need to get a sexual health check-up.
Do you have questions about sexual health? Why not join the conversation on the Play Safe sex and relationship forum or ask Nurse Nettie a question. Or find out more about STI testing and STI treatment in Sydney and NSW.
Let’s talk lube
Lubricant, or lube, increases pleasure for girls and guys, during sex, making sex more comfortable and enjoyable. Lube is used to decrease friction, which means sex with lube won’t be dry and uncomfortable. There are three main types of lube: Water-based lube Water-based lubes are the most common. They are slippery […]
Sex toys – the low down
Sex toys can bring extra fun to masturbating and sex. They’re not just for using alone – they’re also a lot of fun to use with someone else too. Sex toys – the basics Sex toys come in all different shapes, colours and sizes Different toys can be used for […]