So what is bulk billing exactly?
Bulk billing is when the government pays for the total cost of seeing a doctor if you have a Medicare Card. This means you pay nothing whatsoever – it’s absolutely FREE. You’ll just need to check that the service you’re requesting does bulk billing (just ask at the front counter or when you’re on the phone), as some doctors don’t. Bulk billing is a common practice and many doctors will bulk bill people under 16, students, and healthcare cardholders. A lot of medical centres also bulk bill.
The most important thing to remember is that you need a Medicare card.
If you’re 15 years or older you can get a Medicare card of your own. If you don’t have one already, follow these simple steps to get one, because you’ll need it when you visit your doctor.
- Fill in the Medicare form here
- Follow the instructions
- Return the form
- Wait until you receive your new Medicare Card and then find the closest location where you can get tested
A few more points to consider:
- If you have any problems with the Medicare form simply give the team at Medicare a call on 132 011
- If you’re under 15 years of age, or not eligible for a Medicare Card, get in touch with our very own Nurse Nettie for alternatives
- You should also know that Medicare understands your right to privacy and won’t disclose any information to your family
Find out where you can get tested
This handy tool lets you find your nearest STI testing location.