Anxiety and sex - Play Safe Forum Topics
Use this button to quickly leave the website
Quick Exit
Visit the blog

Home Forums Sex & Relationships Anxiety and sex

Viewing 14 posts - 16 through 29 (of 29 total)
  • Author
    CloakOfAsh
    Participant

@jackh that sucks mate!! Definitely feel your pain! I’ve had a rough couple of months and it just decimates the great stuff like sex huh? I just try and be as normal, open and honest with my partner and spend that time doing other sensual things that might not involve full penetration. Massages, kissing etc can be just as intimate if not more than sex. Good luck!

jackh
    Participant

It’s doing my head in 

Aunt_FloAunt_Flo

@jackh sorry to hear you’re feeling this way. Sex drives are usually the first thing to go when your mood is off – medication or no. If it’s been a few months of adjusting to the new medication and you’re finding the symptoms are still bothering you, it might be best to discuss them with your GP.

One type of anti-depressant completely diminished my boyfriend’s sex drive – another one reduced sensitivity, but not enough to affect him too much. It might be a matter of finding what medication works best for you.

I’m with @CloakOfAsh as well – focusing on intimacy and sensual things, like kissing, talking, rubbing etc. might help you and your girlfriend feel relaxed and pleasured without sex. Sometimes, when getting ‘off’ is the main objection, it can make things more difficult. 

jackh
    Participant

It doesn’t help that uni exams are making my anxiety got from already sky high to absolutely out of this world @Aunt_Flo

I’m annoyed because things seem to go well and now things are back off again, it’s frustrating for the both of us. It seemed like the symptoms I had in the beginning went away now they are back, making things quite hard (well, not really, ha!) 
    I’ll have a speak with my girlfriend and we’ll try changing things up a bit 

Aunt_FloAunt_Flo

That’s no doubt making things more difficult for you. Hopefully you can reassess how you’re feeling after exams. Good luck for them! 

It’s great you’re able to talk to her about it. 

jackh
    Participant

Thanks @Aunt_Flo then I am done forever!! 

Aunt_FloAunt_Flo

Woohoo! How exciting 

MsBlueStreak
    Participant

@jackh don’t forget to mention the symptoms to your doctors too… they need to know and may have suggestions for how to relieve them.  

Also, I know from the anxiety at uni exam time. I was notoriously struck down with anxiety when exam pressure kicked in, and it made my dyslexia so awful that I had to switch to doing my exams with the paper upside down (It was a suggestion made by an optometrist to help with the reading difficulties, and anxiety meant I literally couldn’t read when it was the right way up).

I have no suggestions for how to relieve your anxiety, because mine was only relieved by fighting with exam monitors who accused me of cheating when the exam papers were upside down. (not the best time or way to fix things)

jackh
    Participant

My doctor wants to switch me to different meds so we’ll see what happens it’s all trial and error stuff really 

Kit
    Participant

Hope the switch goes well and hope you’re smashing your exams!! B)

jackh
    Participant

Thanks @Kit will be changing the meds after exams, when they are finally over! 

CloakOfAsh
    Participant

@jackh currently going through a switch over myself! Hope it works out for you!

jackh
    Participant

Thanks you to our @CloakOfAsh

teatea

@jackh I really like how much you communicate with your partner. It’s really good to build a strong relationship, it’s inspiring honestly. Did you end up changing meds? I hope you’re managing your symptoms better. I have GAD too so I can understand how frustrating it can be when it interferes with sex. 

Viewing 14 posts - 16 through 29 (of 29 total)
  • The forum ‘Sex & Relationships’ is closed to new topics and replies.