Changes to pap smears - Play Safe Forum Topics
Use this button to quickly leave the website
Quick Exit
Visit the blog

Home Forums Sexual Health Changes to pap smears

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    peachy
    Participant

I’m a bit confused about the new five-year pap smear test system and wondering if anyone could shed some light? My last pap smear was less than two years ago. Should I wait until I’ve reached five years or do it once I’ve hit the two year mark so I can start the five year cycle after my next test? Thanks!!  <3

DeftRat
    Participant

I was talking with someone about this on the weekend and the new tests sound like they are going to be so much more effective and efficient compared to the old pap smear tests. Alas, I don’t think I am much help with answering whether you should wait or have another pap smear. I think the transition to the new test starts early next year. maybe once you’ve hit two years transfer to the next test and then start the 5 year cycle?

TinyTeddy
    Participant

I had a pap smear earlier this year and my doctor told me that the new testing guidelines will come into effect on 1 December 2017. I can’t remember if I am due for my next one in two or five years but I am signed up to the NSW Pap Test Register so they will remind me anyway. 

@peachy You might already be on the register?

peachy
    Participant

@TinyTeddy ahhh okay! I’m definitely registered so I’ll just wait until I get the reminder then! Thanks!! 

HoneyPot

Thanks for bringing this up! i’m just learning about it now. Also, I have a few friends that are 25 and haven’t ever been sexually active nor have they ever had a pap test, do they need to get one? (Or cervical screen as they seem to be calling it)

peachy
    Participant

@HoneyPot I’ve heard that even if you haven’t ever had vaginal intercourse, a Pap smear is a good idea if you have a family history of cervical cancer. But i’m not entirely sure!

@Nurse_Nettie what would you say?

Nurse_NettieNurse_Nettie
    Keymaster

@peachy you should go to the doctor for the new cervical screening test whenever you would have been due for a pap. In other words, you should go for the new test within two years of your last pap smear. Once you’ve had the new test (which is more accurate) you don’t need to do it again for five years.

Anyone with a cervix (cis women, trans men or non-binary) aged between 25 to 74 years old who has ever had vaginal sex with another person, no matter their gender, should get the cervical screening test every five years. People who have never had vaginal sex at all don’t need cervical screening unless there are symptoms like abnormal bleeding or pain.

You can find more info about the new guidelines here

HappyHooHah
    Participant

Oh wow, I thought it was every 3 years!

veryelle
    Participant

Thanks @Nurse_Nettie for the clarification! 

Just want to remind everyone that Pap smears are different to STI checks so just because we don’t need to get Pap smears as regularly, doesn’t mean we can forget about STI checks! 

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • The forum ‘Sexual Health’ is closed to new topics and replies.