Facebook Breakup - Play Safe Forum Topics
Use this button to quickly leave the website
Quick Exit
Visit the blog

Home Forums Sex & Relationships Facebook Breakup

• This topic has 4 replies, 5 voices, and was last updated 6 years ago by teatea.
Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    HappyHooHah
    Participant

So I’ve hit the next step of my breakup.. the dreaded Facebook split. But this time around, I’ve been pleasantly surprised by Facebooks awesome new options!!!!!

You can now take a break from someone on Facebook when you change your relationship status to single or divorced!! You can also take a break from anyone you want to see less of… love this option!
    The options that popped up were:
    • See less of someone: Limit where you see someone on Facebook. If you choose to see them less, their posts and posts they’re tagged in won’t appear in your News Feed and you won’t be prompted to message them or tag them in photos. To see their posts again, you can follow them.
    • Limit someone’s ability to see your posts and posts you’re tagged in: Hide your posts from the person you want to take a break from. They’ll be added to your Restricted List and will only see posts you tag them in or share publicly.
    • Edit who can see past posts: Limit who can see posts (example: photos, status updates, videos, etc.) you’re tagged in, or that you’ve tagged a person in by changing your privacy settings. The posts can only be seen by the people that are tagged in them. These posts won’t appear on your timeline anymore, but will still appear on other peoples timelines and search results unless the person who originally posted them removes them. You’ll also be removed as a contributor from any shared albums you have with the person you want to take a break from.

For me, (And I’m sure many others,) making the step of changing your Facebook status can cause a lot of hurt and awkwardness… this made it a little easier, as your ex isn’t notified that you’re relationship status changed or that you have unfollowed them. It kind of also feels like Facebook is on your side which is nice. It essentially means you don’t have to be worried about seeing their posts or photos they are tagged in etc until you choose to be ready for that again. I’m pretty sure I read somewhere that it can also temporarily hide the photos that you and your ex were previously tagged in. Nice to be able to see the memories when you choose to and not be somewhat forced to see painful things from the past in your feed….

https://www.forbes.com/sites/amitchowdhry/2015/11/25/facebook-take-a-break-feature/#4515095ae50e

MintMilanoMintMilano

These features were a life saver during my last break up! In the end my ex unfriended me because he decided it was what he needed to do and I completely agreed, but when I removed the relationship I was able to hide any posts I didn’t want to see. 

I love that it includes the “On This Day” feature so that you can look back at your old Facebook memories without being reminded of your ex too much. In a few months it’ll be 1 year since we did a big overseas holidays so I know I won’t be flooded with any of those old photos we’re both tagged in. 
    ekoorb9
    Keymaster

@HappyHooHah @MintMilano Despite being in various relationships that have lasted 2+ years, I’ve never had a relationship on Facebook. I’ve been happily Facebook married to my friend Elle for 10 years  😀  

Love this features though and think they would help a lot of people with the awkwardness! 

peachy
    Participant

These features are fantastic! I’ve got a friend right now who can totally tell their ex is seeing someone else based on their facebook activity. It was driving her crazy seeing him tagging her in all these memes when they were just crushing on each other, and then when they started dating the tagging got really gooey and gross haha! She’s taken all those steps to limit his activity popping up on her feed, and is way happier now!

teatea

Wow these features are amazing!! Super hand for me because photos and memories of my ex keep showing up and I don’t really want to waste my time going through and deleting them all individually! Thank you :heart:

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • The forum ‘Sex & Relationships’ is closed to new topics and replies.