Falling off the gym wagon - Play Safe Forum Topics
Use this button to quickly leave the website
Quick Exit
Visit the blog

Home Forums Hanging Out Falling off the gym wagon

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Author
    Will

Hey everyone!

I’ve fallen off the Gym wagon this autumn/winter! 🙁 Not uncommon I imagine. I went back in December, I went around 6 days a week, I lost 7kg and got back to a great routine and diet will still enjoying treats.

I had a dislocated shoulder in March and that put me off a bit. I’ve been slowly trying to get back and have only averaged 1-2 a fortnight now. I also have a dilemma in that I’ve joined a friends Gym, and now they’ve changed ours to open at 8am, and shut at 7pm, which also makes it difficult in getting there.

Does anyone have any suggestions? Should I consider Anytime Fitness? FYI, love to support local businesses and avoid big chain gyms. I’ve had the gym bag in the car as well, and still struggle to get there.

teatea

Wow 6 days a week @will ! How long were your sessions? Have you considered trying an alternative style gym?

I go to a bouldering gym, which is great if bouldering works out for you (if you haven’t heard of it/tried it, it’s like rock-climbing but without ropes!) I go to nomad – and it’s great because they’re local, have a regular gym section and do yoga/pilates! As well as a ton of cool member events – highly recommend!! There’s other bouldering gyms, like St Peters or 9 degrees you can try out too!

The hours for these kinds of gyms are quite long, 6am-10pm generally. So maybe it could be something to consider?

Getting a solid gym routine going is super difficult, but don’t beat yourself up if you don’t get back o going the 6 days a week – any little bit is okay! If you don’t like the alternative gym style idea, I think going a 24 hour gym like anytime fitness is okay too. Just take things slow and ease into it!

Will

The six sessions were a mix of cardio each day, and weights alternate. I wasn’t going too hard, just good post work gym.

I try to keep minimum 3 days, but it’s been easy to not do a single thing in this beautiful cold weather! haha.

I’m way out in the country, so we don’t have many gym options here. I’m still recovering my recent shoulder injury so I can’t do Yoga yet, but that’s my next option! I love Yoga! I used to do the heated yoga in Surry Hills (Not Bikhram, the less heat one… haha) and it was amazing.

I think you’re right and I probably will change it up to Yoga/Pilates to see how that goes. 🙂

teatea

Yoga is so good @will! I hope your shoulder recovers quickly so you’re able to get back into that.

I’m totally the same when the weather gets cold haha so hard to wrestle myself out of my warm bed!

sextronautsextronaut

I’ve also fallen off the wagon @will, and struggling to find something that works for my schedule that I really love and will stick to. I reeeeaally want to try pilates but the gyms in sydney are so expensive. Does anyone have any ideas on how to try it out cheaply?

teatea

Yeah why does it have to be so expensive @sextronaut! Hmm, do you have any friends who would want to do it with you? Maybe you could all go to the park on a Saturday morning to do classes together off of YouTube, or find a friend who is well-seasoned to guide you?

Will

Lately I’ve been doing 30 minute walks at lunchtime which is good, our company is good at supporting this. That’s been helpful to get me out of work and doing some basic exercise. Sunday afternoon long hikes have been good as well!

I’m going overseas in about 5 weeks so I’m going to try push my self to set a target to go 3 days a week before I go!

Will

Just an update!

I’ve been going 1-2 days a week again, so I’ve been getting my ‘gym mojo’ back a little.

I do walks every day at lunch. I’m going overseas in 4 weeks, so I’ve set that as a goal to have 4 weeks at least 3 times a day.

sextronautsextronaut

Well done, @will! Sounds like you’re smashing your goals.

aphrodite9

Will that’s awesome to hear, you’re an inspiration! I’m well and truly off the gym wagon rn so really appreciating everyone’s suggestions and inspo <3

Setting the goal to make it to a yoga or pilates session this weekend now that I’ve seen this thread for motivation!

teatea

YAY @will SO proud of you!!! True inspiration! Feeling motivated to try to stick to my goals too :0

GoldenRoseGoldenRose

Love this post! I’ve just came back from being overseas and am wanting to get get back into living a healthy lifestyle again!

I bought a seperate bullet journal & weekly diary to keep track of my eating, workouts and activities to keep myself accountable and setting small goals each week so I don’t overwhelm myself. Focusing on eating nutritious food for the first week or two then focusing on getting back into the gym with 2-3 days per week then slowly increasing.

A mistake I’ve always made in the past is trying to jump straight into 5 days a week at the gym and I end up not sticking to it so I definitely recommend setting small goals each week and gradually building up to your bigger goals 🙂

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • The forum ‘Hanging Out’ is closed to new topics and replies.