Getting an IUD - Play Safe Forum Topics
Use this button to quickly leave the website
Quick Exit
Visit the blog

Home Forums Sexual Health Getting an IUD

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Author
    Aunt_FloAunt_Flo

So, we’ve talked IUD removal

Let’s talk about the decision to get one! I, unfortunately, experienced what could have been a migraine with aura, meaning I’m no longer the ideal candidate for the combined pill.

I’m pretty upset by it – I love the pill, and the thought of switching makes me very nervous.

I’m trying to avoid horror stories (constant heavy periods, the IUD wandering off and out of the cervix etc.), but it’s difficult to.

Have you considered the IUD? What influenced your decision to go on it? What was your experience?

Also, how do you ‘trust’ it. I know it’s 99% effective which is amazing, but there’s just something about not being able to ‘see’ it, like you do with a daily pill, that makes me uncomfortable.

sextronautsextronaut

Hey @aunt_flo! Sorry you had such an awful migraine – sounds really painful.
    I’ve never had an IUD but I consider it all the time. I’m mostly put off by the pain of insertion and the cramping in the hours after, as well as side effects (messing up my period and pain) and my partner feeling the strings during sex. I totally know what you mean about trust, too.
    I just don’t know. I’d love to have a backup contraception method to condoms + fertility tracking but I’m pretty anxious about hormonal fluctuations and how they could mess up my life a bit – which has happened before!
    Also, while I hate the mood swings and pain I get with my period currently – I’m also really attached to its regularity and keeping track of what my body is doing through my menstrual cycles. Not sure if I’m prepared to let it go. I’ve been undecided for years, haha!

teatea

Oh no! Migraines are a sucky side-effect @aunt_flo! I’m so glad you have other options available for you though! Ignore the horror stories!!!!!!! Mostly, the IUD is okay, a little temperamental but she goes okay. I was offered a long list of contraceptive methods to choose from and chose the IUD for the longevity and lack of periods.

Not being able to ‘see it’ kind of creeps me out too tbh, when I actively think of there being some little device inside my body it makes me feel a little uncomfortable! But that feeling quickly passes, you get used to it. Having it in for up to five years with no fussing around was my main reason for getting it though, I like the freedom of not worrying about when to take my pill next or something less frequent like the rod. I think having a big discussion with your health care provider is a must! Plus, if the IUD doesn’t work out for you, you can always get it taken out.

Aunt_FloAunt_Flo

So to update – I actually went with the implant! I’m a naturally anxious person, so I feel like this was a good personal compromise – long-acting, reversible, progesterone-only and, if i need to, I can easily touch it and know that it’s there.

I had a long conversation with my doctor and had her support in making the decision which was great. 🙂

teatea

Yay @aunt_flo! So happy you were able to find something suitable for you! That’s cool that you can check the location of the implant. 🙂

sextronautsextronaut

@aunt_flo amazing! You’ll have to let us know how you get on with it

kitkat

Chiming in a little belatedly here…I’m on my second IUD and I L O V E it! The pain at insertion and cramping afterwards is definitely pretty unpleasant, but for me, it’s an easy trade off because it means I don’t have to worry about pregnancy for 5 years, and periods for up to three!

I actually originally got mine for period management, well before I was sexually active. I love the fact that I only spot for a couple of days a month now, and even if it’s a little unpredictable, it beats the 10 days of heavy flow and agony a month I used to have.

Of course, now I’m sexually active I still use condoms because it obviously doesn’t protect against STIs, but I do love that I have a kind of ‘set and forget’ backup option.

The one thing I would say though is that it may be worth looking at getting it inserted by a obgyn in sterile conditions, as I think the highest risk of damage from it is infection post insertion in unclean conditions. Just something my GP mentioned, but I haven’t done much research on it, because I had a wonderful obgyn and took my GP’s word on it!

sextronautsextronaut

@kitkat I’m so glad you’ve had a good experience! We’ve been chatting a bit on IUD removal about insertion, I should have remembered this thread!

I’ve officially decided to get an IUD after a very long period of indecisiveness! I’m nervous about the insertion/cramping but so keen to be rid of my heavy periods (hopefully!!). I’m also a bit nervous, like @aunt_flo was saying, about adjusting to the ‘invisible’ nature of it as a contraception method. I’m just going to have to trust it!

Have you got any tips for insertion day @kitkat?

teatea

@kitkat 10 days of heavy flow!! Wow! I’m so glad something like the IUD has helped you control those symptoms a little better! (When I had my IUD in it was soooo good for period management!!)

@sextronaut
    YAY! How exciting! Has it happened yet?

sextronautsextronaut

@tea It didn’t! 🙁 I need to be on my period for the procedure so booking the appointment is tricky, particularly this time – my appointment was 5 days late! Second month in a row that a late period has screwed up my plans. I’m really iron deficient at the moment and I think it’s what’s making my period more irregular than usual. Fingers are crossed for next month!

teatea

@sextronaut Oh wow I didn’t know that! I hope your body chills out a little more so you can get the procedure done!

sextronautsextronaut

It happened! Finally! Hilariously, my GP cancelled my appointment (which was supposed to be tomorrow) so that ruined my insertion plans for the third time in a row. I got pretty disheartened and gave up on that clinic and started calling around to see who would get me in this month. During the search I found this article which was actually amazing to read and pointed me in the direction of Macquarie Street Clinic. I called them and they wouldn’t book me in until my period had actually started, which it did like 2 days later (early, for once!) and I got it inserted on Saturday (with a $50 surcharge, but I’d been waiting so long I was so desperate). It went exactly how the article explained and I barely experienced any pain. I had a stack of various pain meds and a heat pack waiting at home for me and I only used ibuprofen once or twice and the heat pack. For me, it hurt less than period cramps. I’d totally stressed out for nothing, but better to be prepared I guess!

Fingers are crossed for a smooth sailing 5 years with my new accessory.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • The forum ‘Sexual Health’ is closed to new topics and replies.