HIV home-testing kits - Play Safe Forum Topics
Use this button to quickly leave the website
Quick Exit
Visit the blog

Home Forums Sexual Health HIV home-testing kits

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    teatea

HIV home-testing kits!!!!!!!

Woah huge news HIV testing will soon be available to test IN YOUR OWN HOME! Um, I love this? This is going to create much safer environments and help ease the negative stigma surrounding HIV/AIDS!

What is HIV/AIDS?

The article goes on to discuss the overall aim: “Mr Hunt will also announce $5 million to implement the National Blood Borne Virus and Sexually Transmissible Infections Strategies, including the Eighth National HIV Strategy, which aims to “virtually eliminate HIV transmission in Australia by 2022“.”

“Self-testing is convenient and accessible and will give us further momentum against this epidemic.” Though it seems sales of the home-test kit will only be available online initially, which of course still creates some barriers but yay progress!!

“The drug currently retails for $10,800 a year but, after being listed on the PBS this Saturday, it will cost $39.50 per script, or $6.40 for concession card holders.” YESSSS! Affordability!! (Finally)! I’m just so impressed that the government is doing something so ..progressive? towards prevention/treatment? Such good news!!

What do you think about the home-test kits? Do you like the idea? Do you think there’s a better way to do things?

Aunt_FloAunt_Flo

I was very surprised and happy to see this was announced!

This is a big step to making testing more accessible, and I can see it increasing the frequency of HIV testing, which is fantastic.

I wonder what the plan is to connect the test to mainstream healthcare. I guess one of the benefits of being tested in a clinic is you’ve got medical and emotional support on your side from the get go, regardless of your test results.

Nonetheless, what a good initiative!

MintMilanoMintMilano

I was part of the market research that did testing on some of these home testing kits! So exciting to see they’re starting to be available now.
    Personally I love going to my doctor and chatting about stuff when I get tested, but this is so awesome for people who might be a little shy or not as confident to go in for regular testing. or if they don’t live close to a clinic where its convenient; heaps of reasons why they might not get to a doctor.

I do know that if the test comes back as “reactive” (i.e. not 100% negative) they have to actually go to a doctor for more tests to confirm. I think what @Aunt_Flo says about emotional support being available is an important thing to consider. still, better than not being tested at all!

teatea

Did you know there’s a new video out for HIV awareness regarding testing? (Thanks @mintmilano)!

Ooh yeah, good point about connecting with mainstream healthcare @aunt_flo! Maybe they’ll give you information about those services when you order a test?

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • The forum ‘Sexual Health’ is closed to new topics and replies.