How do you avoid getting a UTI after sex? - Play Safe Forum Topics
Use this button to quickly leave the website
Quick Exit
Visit the blog

Home Forums Sexual Health How do you avoid getting a UTI after sex?

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Author
    aphrodite9

So this morning I thought I noticed my urine looking a bit cloudy, which I know can be a symptom of a urinary tract infection (UTI). I’ve never had a UTI before but I hear they can be pretty common, especially if you are sexually active.

I’m not too worried at this stage because I haven’t noticed any other symptoms like pain/burning while peeing, needing to go more regularly, or urine being pink/bloody or anything. I think I’ll just keep an eye on it for now and will go to the GP if I get any new symtoms or if the cloudiness continues/gets worse.

But it’s got me thinking – are there things you can do to prevent getting a UTI?

Usually I’ll go to the toilet soon after sex to try flush any bacteria out, but the other night I was so sleepy I couldnt bring myself to get out of bed. Also I reckon my sexual partner was being pretty carefree in the way they used their fingers down there, if you know what I mean … going between my vulva and the rim of my anus. I wonder if these things might have contibuted?

What do people think – are there any tips / tricks you have for how to try avoid getting a UTI??

And that don’t kill the mood? Always getting up right after sex to wee maybe isnt exactly the sexiest move? haha

teatea

Great question @aphrodite9! I love how on top of your sexual health you are with monitoring your symptoms and being aware of UTI’s in the first place

They are quite common and even if you haven’t had any other symptoms if you suspect a UTI, I think it would be best to visit your GP just to be safe and get things checked out!

As for preventing UTI’s, I was under the assumption you just pee after sex and you’re all good? But maybe @nurse_nettie can provide some better information on that.

Play Safe describes a UTI as

“A bacterial infection of the urinary tract which can include the bladder, urethra and kidneys. It commonly causes an uncomfortable sensation of needing to urinate frequently and pain passing urine. It is curable with antibiotics. It is not an STI.”

This article also says pain during sex can be a symptom of a UTI! So maybe something to look out for? But definitely, if you can and feel comfortable – see your GP just to see what’s going on if you’re not 100% sure.

I don’t think getting up to pee ruins the mood at all! In fact, it can be quite fun and funny! My partner and I always have a little giggle if we need to stop mid-way to have a little wee!

Nurse_NettieNurse_Nettie
    Keymaster

@aphrodite9
    I wouldn’t worry about cloudy urine alone. The main thing is pain when you wee & feeling the need to go more frequently. UTIs are caused by bacteria that gets into the urethera (the hole where wee comes out — not the vagina). Sometimes sex will trigger it just because of the moving around of bodies & fluids & rubbing… all that action can help push bacteria into the urethra. That’s why weeing after sex is a great way to prevent an infection from growing.

It’s not all about sex though. UTIs can happen any time. One of the most common causes of UTIs is bacteria from poo getting into the urethra. It may sound unclean, but the anus & vagina are pretty close together & you only need a microscopic amount to cause a problem! That’s why people with vaginas are much more likely to get UTIs than people with penises — it’s just anatomy! This is the reason we teach: wipe front to back when you wee. And be carefuly with any bum to vagina play: wash hands or change condoms when moving between these areas.

Hope that helps 🙂

GoldenRoseGoldenRose

Great post! I find I’m really prone to UTIs… if I don’t pee right after sex I’m almost guaranteed to get one which sucks if I fall asleep or something before I get around to it but I don’t find it to ruin the mood or anything when I get up straight away to pee 🙂

aphrodite9

Thank you so much @Nurse_Nettie for clearing this up! Will be trying to take a bit more care with bum to vagina play from now on. And yep my mum always taught me to wipe front to back – makes sense!
    Thank you @tea and @GoldenRose – I’ll feel so much more comfortable going to pee after sex now knowing I’m not the only one!

teatea

Ohh good to know why we pee after sex @nurse_nettie! Thanks!

@aphrodite9
    Yay! So glad you feel more comfortable about it!

Aunt_FloAunt_Flo

I’m right there with you @aphrodite9 – I will almost always get up to pee after sex!

Sometimes, especially if you’re already in bed and sleepy, it can be a bit of a pain…but I’d rather that than the pain of a UTI!

aphrodite9

Good to know, thanks for sharing @aunt_flo!

Catdog

Well this helps to explain why my partners usually getting up immediately after sex! Thanks!

teatea

@catdog Good to know we’ve helped solve things for you! I usually just immediately have the need to pee after sex anyway so it’s a win-win!

alt_j
    Participant

If you are worried about the onset of a UTI, I would recommend downing a sachet (or 2) of Ural Effervescent Powder – you can find this at any chemist and is a good idea to keep it on hand if you are prone to UTIs. Always following the directions on the pack.

It tastes bleh, but it does help fight off a UTI developing if you are in the early stages – Feeling like you need to pee all the time but barely anything comes out or have very cloudy pee.

Always pee after sex, drink unsweetened cranberry juice and plenty of water to help flush out your system.
    UTIs are nasty if they develop further, it can travel to your kidneys, which is very painful.

medzcure
    Participant

Medzcure is Secure Pharma Online offering low-cost generic medicines that are genuine and work faster than any pills online. Visit : medzcure.com

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • The forum ‘Sexual Health’ is closed to new topics and replies.