The fun stuff
NSW Government

Home Forums Sex & Relationships How do you make casual sex great?

Tagged: 

This topic contains 7 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by EarthMama EarthMama 2 weeks, 5 days ago.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    EarthMama
    EarthMama

I am of the opinion, through my life experience, that it is far more common to have great sex in an ongoing and intimate relationship, that it is in something casual and sporadic. I would love to be wrong about this! If intimacy, trust and communication are not the only ingredients of great sex, what are the others? And please, how do you establish these in casual sexual encounters!?

tea
    tea

Hmm, other ingredients of great sex…@earthmama..there could be so many I suppose, but they’d be so specific to what you like individually? I think universally, you’ve got the right idea with intimacy, trust and communication!

Hmm maybe being open-minded? I think that would set things up for anyone involved to be more comfortable in asking for things that they like!

EarthMama
    EarthMama

@tea I hear you on the open-mindedness, but I suppose my curiosity is about how all these things factor in when we HAVEN’T yet built an understanding of another’s personality. Do you think we need to know about someone intimately, before we can enjoy good sex with them?

sextronaut
    sextronaut

Great topic @earthmama! My main advice for great casual sex would be communication, consent, gentle starts and safety. Open-mindedness is fantastic so long as it’s balanced with communicated boundaries. 🙂 Washed hands is also super important for any sexual encounter, too. Ideally, I like to discuss safe sex options and contraception prior to things getting steamy in a casual way but I know this can be awkward sometimes. Also, I think communicating boundaries is really important – i.e. not wanting to do certain sexual acts/condoms must be worn, etc. I think taking it slow to explore how your bodies connect is a good move as well, and then you/they can communicate what you/they like from there.

Of course, like anything, practice makes perfect so getting to know someone’s body a little over time will help with sex ‘skills’, but I think being a great communicator could absolutely make for fantastic sex with strangers (so long as you find a good communicator)!

tea
    tea

Hmm I think knowing someone intimately before having sex with someone could make sex more enjoyable, but not always @earthmama. I suppose it would depend on the kind of person you are too and how you value relationships in general?

I think @sextronaut has the right idea about knowing someone better and that helping with your ‘skills’ but yeah ultimately communication is key!

Also LOVE the “Washed hands is also super important for any sexual encounter, too.” advice @sextronaut!!

EarthMama
    EarthMama

Thanks @tea and @sextronaut – all great advice!
    I am finding more and more however that the success of causal encounters is based on the premise that all people have the same understanding around boundaries, safe practices, consent and expectations. I wonder is this all comes down to running in circles that hold the same values to us?

tea
    tea

Oh maybe! @earthmama! Hmm, I suppose if you ended up somewhere completely different to what yo were used to – and had a new group of people you were introduced to, then boundaries might differ? I wonder if it’s different cross-culturally as well?

EarthMama
    EarthMama

Yes I think it is!! I am starting to realise that whist I surround myself in general with feminist and sex-positive people, when you meet someone outside of your circle, these values can really differ. Perhaps I just need to be a little more discerning 😉

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Search