How effective is pulling out during sex? - Play Safe Forum Topics
Use this button to quickly leave the website
Quick Exit
Visit the blog

Home Forums Sex & Relationships How effective is pulling out during sex?

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    teatea

I have quite a few friends who still use pulling out as a form of ‘contraception’ but I just don’t agree with it as a safe method for preventing pregnancy. Also, pulling out wouldn’t prevent STI’s!! Do you think pulling out during sex is effective?

I remember in high school people would talk about it as a safe way to prevent pregnancy. I guess since there wasn’t a lot of sexual health education, there wasn’t anyone to tell us otherwise? Pulling out during sex just doesn’t seem effective to me, there’s such a high chance you could get pregnant or contract an STI because contraceptive methods aren’t being used.

What would you do if a partner thought pulling out was a good idea? I would definitely stop any sexual activity from happening until a condom was used. It’s much better to be as safe as possible!

Do you think pulling out is effective? Is it a good thing? Or a bad thing? Why do you think people still pull out? Have you ever done it?

What is contraception? | Contraception myths | Contraceptives and pregnancy

GoldenRoseGoldenRose

I was always scared of this ‘method’ as I had heard about pre cum which you can still get pregnant from according to this article:

Can you get pregnant from “pre cum”?

It also says that says that ‘Out of every 100 people using only withdrawal as birth control, an estimated 20 to 27 of them will get pregnant within one year’, so I don’t think it’s very effective at all and like you said it doesn’t protect against STIs!

The article also makes a good point about how it can be difficult to withdraw at the right time which I think is worth mentioning.

Catdog

Totally agree with you @tea. I don’t think it’s an effective way to prevent pregnancy and does nothing when trying to prevent the spread of STI’s. I’ve actually heard it being called the pull and pray method which is probably more accurate.

Despite this I have used this method a few times and continue to do so when needed. I never feel entirely at peace with doing it but in the circumstance of not having a condom I certainly would rather use the pull out method as a last ditch attempt to minimise the likelihood of pregnancy.

Maybe not the most effective way to prevent pregnancy but I think it’s still an option (poor as it might be) if no other form of contraception is available at that time.

teatea

Oh thanks so much for the link @goldenrose, that’s super helpful! Totally forgot about pre-cum being a massive contributor – this article helps a lot.

@catdog
    Pull and pray!!! That sounds so awful! Thank you for sharing your own experiences of pulling out during sex too. Do you let your partner/s know you’re doing this? If so do you talk about it beforehand or is it more of an afterthought?

GoldenRoseGoldenRose

@tea glad you found it useful!

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • The forum ‘Sex & Relationships’ is closed to new topics and replies.