Is it safe to get a tattoo near the implant? - Play Safe Forum Topics
Use this button to quickly leave the website
Quick Exit
Visit the blog

Home Forums Nurse Nettie Is it safe to get a tattoo near the implant?

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    Aunt_FloAunt_Flo

Hi Nurse Nettie!

I’m looking to get a new tattoo on my arm, but it will be a bit close to my Implanon. Is a bit idea to get a tattoo near the device? I’m not aiming to get it directly on the implant, but it will cutting it fine.

Nurse_NettieNurse_Nettie
    Keymaster

Hi @aunt_flo, it’s a good question! The main concern is the risk of the Implant breaking & not providing contraceptive cover. Although tattooing may go to different depth in the skin to the implanon, the pressure applied may cause breakage. Generally the advice is to get a tattoo first & then the Implanon inserted after…or choose a different site on the body for a tattoo.

Aunt_FloAunt_Flo

Thanks @nurse_nettie!

Hmm, that’s something to think about. Is getting it on the ‘front’ of the arm a safe enough distance between the implant and a tattoo, or should I just avoid the entire bicep/tricep area?

Nurse_NettieNurse_Nettie
    Keymaster

@aunt_flo, there’s no need to avoid the entire bicep/tricep area. As implants are usually placed on the inside of the non dominant arm, having the tattoo on the front of the arm is totally fine. It’s just best to avoid tattooing over or near the implant.

Aunt_FloAunt_Flo

Thank you for confirming!

I was looking to get it on the same arm as the implant. I’ll just warn the artist that I have the implant, and make sure the tattoo doesn’t go too close to the implant.

Thanks @nurse_nettie!

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • The forum ‘Nurse Nettie’ is closed to new topics and replies.