LARC Use - Play Safe Forum Topics
Use this button to quickly leave the website
Quick Exit
Visit the blog

Home Forums Nurse Nettie LARC Use

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    Curiosity
    Participant

Hi Nurse Nettie, I was wondering if you are using a Long Acting Reversible Contraceptive (LARC) like an implanon and engaging in regular intercourse with a monogamous partner do you still need to use a condom to prevent unintended pregnancy? 

Nurse_NettieNurse_Nettie
    Keymaster

Hi @curiosity, There are a few different types of Long Acting Reversible Contraceptives (LARC) & they all work really well at preventing unintended pregnancy. The contraceptive implant (AKA Implanon) is 99.9% effective – hard to beat that!  There’s no harm in using condoms as well, but the implant is very reliable without it. HOWEVER, condoms are always important to use if there’s any risk of STIs because LARCs (and other contraceptives) have zero effect on preventing infections.  

MsBlueStreak
    Participant

@Nurse_Nettie – could you clear something up for me:

How is an LARC implanted? And how big is it?

I’m like chicken little about my annual flu shot and blood tests… so I’ve avoided even thinking about LARC because of the “implant” word.

Nurse_NettieNurse_Nettie
    Keymaster

Hi @MsBlueStreak, sure I’m here to help :-).  I think you’re referring to the hormonal implant called Implanon. This is a 4 cm rod which is inserted just below the skin usually in the upper arm. Click here for more info about how its inserted. Does it hurt? Not so much as it’s inserted with a local anaesthetic to numb the skin. Sometimes bruising or itchiness occurs for a few days after then this goes away.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • The forum ‘Nurse Nettie’ is closed to new topics and replies.