NANOWRIMO - Play Safe Forum Topics
Use this button to quickly leave the website
Quick Exit
Visit the blog

Home Forums Hanging Out NANOWRIMO

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Author
    EarthMamaEarthMama

Anyone else doing Nanowrimo next month?

(National Novel Writing Month) If you haven’t heard of it and you are a writer/storyteller/person who has something to say, I suggest you look it up! It is pure, unadulterated MAGIC.

teatea

@earthmama YES I AM!!!! omg I’m so excited (and nervous!!!!) It’s my first year doing NANOWRIMO, but I am so determined!!!!

One of my goals for the year was to write a novel Ive had in the works since 2016 (but I’ve scrapped what I had since, and want to redo it!) So this is a PERFECT opportunity!!!

My username is teatrash if anyone wants to add me and join my support circle! 🙂

-_-
    Participant

this is right up my alley @earthmama @tea – can I ask what you are both writing about?? I would love to join in but feel like I need to get my assignments done hahaha

teatea

@stephaniaaaah I’m actually so bad and should be finishing off my assignments for the semester too!! Multitasking though?? (Read as: severely neglecting my responsibilities) hahaha

I’ve had an idea since 2016 to write a novel about how it’s okay to be alone after a break-up. Targetting the YA market, because like, every John Green novel (as much as I love them) always ends up with the protagonist finding LOOoOoOOOoVE at the end, instead of just, not doing that?

I think it’s a super important concept for young people to be exposed to (of being okay after a break-up, that it will be okay and that you can explore being yourself instead of needing another human). There’s too much of the narrative of A falls in love with B, B DIES DRAMATICALLY, A is alone, A finds out their best friend C loved them all along, A and C live happily ever after. How about A is okay with just being A? Smh.

Anyway, feel free to steal my idea. A friend who introduced me to Nanowrimo already has because they loved the concept so much haha

-_-
    Participant

YAAAAAAS @tea LOVE LOVE LOVE this – can you please start a thread about this in sex and relationships – I was having the conversation the other day with a colleague about being (properly) single for 3 years after I got my heart broken for the first time and learning to be totally cool with it and that I am deliberately single (not because I haven’t met the right one – the right one for me is ME)

My eyeballs roll at a happy ending where people find LURVE.. Like just be sad or be okay with just being A, like you said!!!

YAY good luck with your writing, cannot wait to read the novel 🙂

EarthMamaEarthMama

YAY @tea so excited you’re doing your first Nano!! This will be my fourth year, and I cannot speak of the experience highly enough. It’s kind of incredible that a not-for-profit can be this massive AND still be unbelievably supportive and personal. It is so beautifully organised.
    Your story idea sounds awesome! I too, am a massive John Green and YA fan, but agree these narratives may be partly responsible for our assumption that another person can and will rescue us.

@stephaniaaaah having assignments to do is the perfect reason to try nano 😉 this way, you procrastinate AND achieve something awesome! In saying that, I am going to need super good boundaries to balance work, uni and nano this year… I will let you know how I get on.
    My topic this year is very different from the more typical love stories I usually write <3 I am going a little Dystopian…world ending etc.

So excited to hear everyone’s updates!!

teatea

@stephaniaaaah ‘the right one for me is ME’ UM I love that!!!! Can I steal it for my novel? Hahaha I should totally start a thread about that though!!! Are you doing nanowrimo this year?

@EarthMama
    Your updates are what’s keeping me going tbh, at first I was like what’s the point of a writing buddy??? but I totally get it now, the motivation !!!! Uh, I’m like so behind atm,,,,,BUT I’ve been sent home sick from work today so maybe I’ll smash out a casual 10k words to catch up hahaha

EarthMamaEarthMama

aww @tea I wish!! I was doing so well for a few days but… real talk… I had to give it up because I was totally overdoing it with work at uni. I am pretty disappointed but have learned the hard way how important self care…next year I will be back. I’m gonna keep cheering you on though…I KNOW YOU CAN DO THIS. A casual 10,000 words is doable with the right mindset 😉 GO TEA!!

-_-
    Participant

steal away @tea ! how did you go smashing out the casual 10k words ?! we are definitely cheering you on and cannot wait to read the end result (whether you finish or not doesn’t matter!) what a great challenge, i’m in for next year 🙂

teatea

So NANOWRIMO is over for this year guys!! Um, look,,,, I didn’t finish. I didn’t get anywhere close to finishing actually BUT I thought, I could just pick it up anyway? 1600k words every day isn’t so bad, I could write that over a year if I did it intermittently.

How did you guys find this year? Are you motivated to write more? I think next year I’ll go to lots of the events they put up to help me stick with it!!

EarthMamaEarthMama

@tea It’s so great you gave it a shot! And seriously- the whole point of it is that is gets your juices flowing and makes you realise how capable you are. It sounds like you know you could if you applied yourself, and that’s AMAZING!
    I’m thinking I might try and do my own version in January. But yes, the key to success is community. The one year I ‘won’ was back in 2015 and I think it’s because I went to a bunch of events and engaged online!

-_-
    Participant

@tea such a solid effort! Congratulations! I would be keen to give it a crack in 2019 and I absolutely loved your plot line – I agree networking and meeting up with others would be a massive help

teatea

“the whole point of it is that is gets your juices flowing and makes you realise how capable you are.” AAAH YESS, so true, thank you for this @earthmama !!! I’ll keep this in mind for next time I give this whole writing thing a go.

Thank you all so so much for your support, I really appreciate it <3

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • The forum ‘Hanging Out’ is closed to new topics and replies.