Polycystic Ovaries - Any advice on managing the symptoms? - Play Safe Forum Topics
Use this button to quickly leave the website
Quick Exit
Visit the blog

Home Forums Sexual Health Polycystic Ovaries – Any advice on managing the symptoms?

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author
    YogiGirl
    Keymaster

Hey everyone! I’m currently going through blood tests and scans to diagnose potential polycystic ovaries. I’ve been getting irregular periods since coming off the pill 6 months ago but the worst bit is that my skin has been covered in ache and i’ve had increased body hair growth. Both are leaving me feeling super unattractive and at a bit of a loss.

I’ve got a face wash to try and combat the outbreaks but just wondering if anyone else out there has the same, or has any advice to manage symptoms? I’m trying to live an active lifestyle and eat healthily wherever possible plus lots of exercise…which you might have guessed from my name!

@nurse_nettie
    do you have any advice?

Nurse_NettieNurse_Nettie
    Keymaster

Hi @yogigirl I’m sorry to hear that you’re struggling with these symptoms. Irregular periods, acne, and increased body and facial hair are common signs of Polycystic Ovary Syndrome (PCOS) so it’s great that you’re getting tested. PCOS is a really common condition that effects your hormones.

If it turns out you have PCOS, your doctor will give you advice about the best management for you. For some, a change in diet and exercise can make a big difference. It sounds like you’re already on top of that though which is great 🙂 The Pill is often prescribed to improve symptoms like acne and increased hair growth, but you can find more detailed information about how PCOS is managed here.

curiousss

Hi @yogigirl also sorry to hear you’re going through this and are feeling this way
    🙁 I also was diagnosed with PCOS a few years ago and it is hard! My biggest recommendation is to make sure you look after your mental health, my body image and depression took a big hit with the weight gain I experienced from PCOS. Mental health is so important especially with PCOS it needs to be a priority 🙂 Also would recommend talking to your GP about your skin and they might be about to give you some recommendations or advice!

YogiGirl
    Keymaster

Thanks @nurse_nettie and @curiousss. So to update i’ve have been fully diagnosed 🙁 Luckily I have the most supportive doctor who has given me some great tips to manage the symptoms and a gel to use before bed to help with my acne, which i’m pleased to say is working already! It’s a real blow to your confidence when you see the changes happening but i’m feeling positive about there being some easy changes I can make. It’ a good excuse to eat well and exercise!

curiousss

Hi @yogigirl, thank you for the update! Glad to hear you have a great doctor that’s so important! And yes, a very good excuse o eat well and exercise. I definitely found myself learning so much more about nutrition and exercise after my diagnosis. For more information about PCOS I would also suggest checking out the Jean
    Hailes website – I found it really helpful 🙂 They are Australian based and have great information and resources about women’s health including PCOS.

curiousss

Hi @yogigirl, thank you for the update! Glad to hear you have a great doctor that’s so important! And yes, a very good excuse o eat well and exercise. I definitely found myself learning so much more about nutrition and exercise after my diagnosis. For more information about PCOS I would also suggest checking out the Jean
    Hailes website – I found it really helpful 🙂 They are Australian based and have great information and resources about women’s health including PCOS.

curiousss

I just realised that Jean Hailes Link was the exact same one @nurse_nettie shared – must be good then!! 😀

YogiGirl
    Keymaster

Amazing, thanks @curiousss! I will definitely check out the Jean Hailes website now it comes so well recommended 😀

Nurse_NettieNurse_Nettie
    Keymaster

Thanks for updating us, @yogigirl. It’s empowering to know what was causing your symptoms. It means you can make informed choices about your health now.
    And @curiousss, I’m so glad to know that you found the Jean Hailes resources helpful too.

Aunt_FloAunt_Flo

I’m glad you’ve got the support you need @yogigirl!

I haven’t been properly diagnosed, but I have a polycystic ovary and irregular periods, so it’s highly likely that I do. I second what @curiousss said about taking care of your mental health. I found that agnonising whether my weight gain, or bout of hair loss I was experiencing was because of PCOS or something else was really unhelpful!

rahul12
    Participant

Hi @yogigirl,
    If you want to know about how to mange PCOS. So there are quite some factors that can help you do so.You should have a balanced diet plan, doing some yoga will also help you manage PCOS.
    Both diet plans and Yoga asanas can be seen on
    Diet plan and Yoga Asnas
    I hope this helps you.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • The forum ‘Sexual Health’ is closed to new topics and replies.