Such a good question! I lived and travelled Europe for a year and came across some interesting differences about accessing safer sex.
– Some places in Europe had condom machines on the street which I thought was very cool and practical.
– A lot of the time you can buy condoms from hostels and even some hotel receptions.
– In some places you have to ask for condoms from the sales person (I found this embarrassing).
– I was in one small town for a few nights and noticed I couldn’t find any tampons stocked in the local store!!!! That really shocked me. I wonder if they sold condoms or had the morning after pill!?
– I had an incident where the condom came off and I needed to get the morning after pill but it was a Sunday and in the small town I was in everything was closed! (this was the UK) I ended up having to go to the emergency room and ask for the morning after pill there. Good news was it was free bad news was I had to wait a very long time for a nurse to see me.
My recommendation after this whole experience. Stock up on condoms before you leave and have a bunch (big bunch) on you. You can also bulk buy your contraception pill and take that with you when you travel!