Sex education is not relevant to pupils' lives, says report - Play Safe Forum Topics
Use this button to quickly leave the website
Quick Exit
Visit the blog

Home Forums Hanging Out Sex education is not relevant to pupils’ lives, says report

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author
    v4wanndii
    Participant

I went through this article “sex education is not relevant to pupils’ lives, says report” from the Guardian. It wrote about an international report saying that sex education worldwide is irrelevant to pupil’s experience in real life.
    https://www.theguardian.com/education/2016/sep/12/sex-education-is-not-relevant-to-pupils-lives-says-report

I was born and have grown up in Asia for more than 20 years. Sex is always a taboos and sensitive topic to bring up in a conversation. Sex education is overlooked at school. When I was in school, sexual  health was included in Biology subject as a chapter, however it was skipped and slightly mentioned by teacher.

NickiPower
    Participant

It’s so interesting to see that students feel the education is out of touch. There’s a few touch points that I totally remember from my HS experience – it’s the same teachers who teach other subjects (so not really their strong point) and it was about 45 mins in an entire year, basically to check the box. 

Additionally there was a day where an external group were meant to come in and educate and as a punishment for something they decided that the year wasn’t going to have this day. So it was considered a reward rather than something that needed to be taught. 

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • The forum ‘Hanging Out’ is closed to new topics and replies.