Should the pill be available over the counter? - Play Safe Forum Topics
Use this button to quickly leave the website
Quick Exit
Visit the blog

Home Forums Sexual Health Should the pill be available over the counter?

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    Aunt_FloAunt_Flo

https://www.theguardian.com/australia-news/2018/oct/22/birth-control-pills-should-be-available-over-the-counter-advocates-say

Some women’s health groups and the Victorian opposition are advocating to make the contraceptive pill available over the counter after an initial doctors visit.

What do you guys think about this? Would it change the way you access birth control?

For me, it would mean I would get to avoid over an hour at the doctors getting a prescription for something I’ve used for years.

On the flip side, I also wonder if it would be worth having a caveat for women at a greater risk of side effects, e.g those who have a family history of blood clots.

-_-
    Participant

I find the argument from the people opposing the idea interesting @aunt_flo – that the doctors would miss opportunities for sexual health checks etc..I find that I have to initiate a sexual health check up or cervical screen with my GP – they are often too busy and just want you in and out of the practice.

So yes, I think that people should be able to access the contraceptive pill over the counter after an initial consultation – accessing birth control should be as easy as possible – perhaps they could put an extra check into the system i.e. you complete a survey (online or paper) to assess changes to mood etc (the contraceptive pill has been linked to depression)

Aunt_FloAunt_Flo

I didn’t even think of that @stephaniaaaah. I’ve also had to remind doctors that I should start getting cervical screens. So for me personally, not visiting to get my prescription wouldn’t alter the way I get health checks.

teatea

Absolutely a good point about needing to remind your GP’s @stephaniaaaah !! Though I’ve found a really good GP who keeps reminding me about getting a check, even if I’m bombarding them with a million other problems haha

I 100% think contraception, like the pill, should be accessible without a visit from your GP. In regards to safety measures surrounding dispensing medications and side-effects, I feel that pharmacists are well equipt with enough knowledge that they should be able to advise what is best for you. Pharmacists do soo much more than just dispensing medication after all! The only issue with that would be the potential of ‘policing’ medication, which would be prevented with finding a Good Reliable Pharmacist like you would with any GP.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • The forum ‘Sexual Health’ is closed to new topics and replies.