Silly euphemisms - Play Safe Forum Topics
Use this button to quickly leave the website
Quick Exit
Visit the blog

Home Forums Sex & Relationships Silly euphemisms

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Author
    Aunt_FloAunt_Flo

What’s your favourite euphemism for sex or masturbation? I personally like the phrase ‘bumping fuzzies’ for sex and ‘diddling your skiddle’ for masturbation. Anyone care to share their favourite silly sayings?

mak_trouble891
    Participant

One I like is ‘bumping uglys’
    another one an ex of mine use to use was ‘reef and beef’ or ‘surf and turf’ when referring to either oral or sex, the girl was the reef lol

ElleBelle
    Participant

I want to bring back “knocking boots” hahaha

Curiosity
    Participant

I loved a slogan I saw for sexual health “use your CONDOM sense” on a badge with a picture of a smiling condom 

NickiPower
    Participant

Here’s one I saw promoting safe sex: “Before inserting your flesh injection, make sure to wear latex protection” 

walk_on_walls
    Participant

I remember reading a resource about how to teach kids about sex. They recommended not using euphemisms such (e.g. “willy”) but give the correct terms (e.g. “penis”).

What are people’s thoughts on the role of euphemisms in sexual openness? As adults, they can be fun and witty, but do they actually reinforce cultural taboos around not talking about sex?

Aunt_FloAunt_Flo

@walk_on_walls I only like euphemisms to be silly among adults. I don’t think it’s good to teach children to be ashamed about having genitals or referring to them by a biological name so I’d definitely use the correct term when speaking to children. 

NickiPower
    Participant

Yes @walk_on_walls I did just read an article from Canada that slang or euphemisms in sexual education actually aids to the assumption that these parts shouldn’t be spoken about and then confuses children when they are introduced to education around sexual activity later in their school life. 
    http://www.theglobeandmail.com/life/health-and-fitness/health-advisor/sexual-health-education-needs-to-call-body-parts-by-their-names/article31550950/

walk_on_walls
    Participant

Thanks for the thoughts @Aunt_Flo @NickiPower

Great article too, easy to read and explains the points well. Until I’d read up on this topic, I’d never  thought twice about euphemisms for kids – it seems so normal and innocent – but can actually have negative effects.

Kit
    Participant

Euphemisms…. all I can think is @EggplantEmoji 😉

RoseHill
    Participant

Great article @NickiPower thanks for sharing!

What I was taught in our unit on facilitating sex education was always teach children to use anatomical terms because it can be a safety issue… there was a case of a young girl who repeatedly tried to alert a teacher to having been sexually abused and because at home she had only been taught to use the word “pocket” for vagina, it caused a lot of confusion and took adults a long time to figure out what she was really trying to tell them  :'(

Aunt_FloAunt_Flo

@Rosehill that is certainly not an implication I have thought of before, but wow! Very necessary to use to correct terms when talking to children. 

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • The forum ‘Sex & Relationships’ is closed to new topics and replies.