Talking contraceptive 'what ifs' with your partner - Play Safe Forum Topics
Use this button to quickly leave the website
Quick Exit
Visit the blog

Home Forums Sex & Relationships Talking contraceptive 'what ifs' with your partner

Tagged: 

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    Aunt_FloAunt_Flo

I think a lot of people are getting more and more comfortable about talking about contraceptive options with their partners – from one night stands, to long-term sexual partners.

But, have you ever had a talk about what you would do if the condom broke, if your contraception failed, or if you/your sexual partner fell pregnant unexpectedly?

When is a good time to have this chat? What if you don’t see eye to eye? Is this a conversation reversed for more serious couples, or for casual partners?

sextronautsextronaut

@aunt_flo I love this topic! It can definitely be a tough conversation to have, particularly with one night stands! I have to say, I’ve honestly never had this chat with anyone except a long term partner, we luckily saw eye to eye with our ‘Plan B’ but I can imagine how difficult it might have been if that was not the case. I don’t know if I’d feel comfortable having this chat with a casual hook-up, it might just wait until the fail actually happened. The conversation seems too heavy for something so casual, but it definitely shouldn’t be. Good health is worth sitting through an awkward conversation! Has anyone had a bad experience with this chat?

teatea

Ohh good question @aunt_flo!! I think it’s definitely reserved for more ‘serious partners’ from a social stand-point – but I believe it should be a conversation anyone can feel comfortable having!

Personally, I’ve never had this chat? My plan B for anything happening (which it did once) was to terminate a pregnancy. I didn’t see a need to discuss this with the other person at the time because it was a one-off thing – and it’s my body. I told them eventually, but after I went through with everything. Should I have discussed it with them prior even though it was only a one-off?

Aunt_FloAunt_Flo

@tea I definitely don’t think it’s a conversation that NEEDS to happen. At the end of the day, you’ve got the right to choose and like you said – it’s your body.

But I do think it’s a topic of conversation that shouldn’t be taboo or kept exclusively between couples who are long-term.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • The forum ‘Sex & Relationships’ is closed to new topics and replies.