Temperature and the pill - Play Safe Forum Topics
Use this button to quickly leave the website
Quick Exit
Visit the blog

Home Forums Nurse Nettie Temperature and the pill

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    Aunt_FloAunt_Flo

Hi Nurse Nettie.

I know that extreme temperature can affect the pill, but i’m not too sure on the specifics.

How long does it take for the pill to be affected by high and low temperatures? Are there any signs that would indicate whether a pill packet has been damaged by heat, e.g. if it was left in a hot room all day? How can someone safely take their pill along with them when travelling to very hot or very cold countries?

Nurse_NettieNurse_Nettie
    Keymaster

Hi @aunt_flo 🙂 Ideally, most medications should be kept within 15-25 degrees celcius. Temps outside of that range don’t automatically make The Pill useless or dangerous, but it can become less effective. When in doubt, use a back-up method of contraception like condoms or the Emergency Contraceptive Pill.

Some tips for keeping your medications safe when traveling: bring them in carry-on bags when flying. Baggage holds are not temperature controlled and can become extremely hot or freezing cold. Similarly, cars temps can skyrocket very quickly on a hot day. Don’t leave your medicines (or condoms!) in a parked car.

For more advice about the safe storage of specific medications you’re using, it’s best to check with your local pharmacist 🙂

teatea

Ohh good question @aunt_flo! Especially with the heat wave going right now yikes!

Aunt_FloAunt_Flo

Exactly why I asked @tea! With it being over 40°c outside I started to wonder.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • The forum ‘Nurse Nettie’ is closed to new topics and replies.