What happens at the first appointment? - Play Safe Forum Topics
Use this button to quickly leave the website
Quick Exit
Visit the blog

Home Forums Sexual Health What happens at the first appointment?

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author
    Butterfly01
    Participant

Hi, im wondering what happens at a first appointment with a gynaecologist? i have had 2 abnormal pap smears and theyve refferred me to one but havent explained anything to me

can anyone share your experience on what might happen esp with the procedures if theres any involved…

they are also checking for pcos, endometriosis and any other things as ive got symptoms of both of these as well

GoldenRoseGoldenRose

Hi @butterfly01! Good question! Sorry to hear that it hasn’t been explained to you. I never been to a gynaecologist personally as there is a female sexual health nurse at my GP clinic that does my pap smears so I’m not 100% sure but @nurse_nettie might be able to fill you in on what to expect from a typical gynaecologist appointment? And what to expect when they check for pcos, endometriosis etc.?

Nurse_NettieNurse_Nettie
    Keymaster

HI @butterfly01 🙂 It sounds like you’ve been referred for colposcopy following some abnormal results on your cervical screening test (previously known as pap smear, but now called CST). Colposcopy is a special test a gynaecologist does to look at the cells on your cervix a bit more closely. Sometimes they may also take a small biopsy on the cervix which they can review in a lab.

It’s a good idea to let the doctor know about your PCOS and endometriosis, but those conditions are not related to HPV (the virus we’re looking at with CST and colposcopy testing). Remember, HPV is really, really common. Your own immune system will usually get rid of it, but some types can lead to cancer after many years. That’s why it’s important to follow your doctor’s recommendations, but not to be overly worried. The pap smear/CST program is extraordinarily effective because it finds and treats problems before there’s an actual cancer.

Butterfly01
    Participant

Thank you GoldenRose i have a womens health nurse at my gp practice whom usually does my pap smears however since im getting abnormal results-this is the 3rd time now, theyve had to refer me onto the gynaecologist for further investigations. My gp is also not to sure about pcos or endometriosis or if it could be something else as i have all the synptoms but my blood tests are normal hormoneally so she wants to have them both investigated while im there.

Thank you Nurse_Nettie for responding and explaining what might happen at the appointment. does a biopsy hurt? does a colposcopy hurt? i might have a look myself at these procedures.

Thank you both again for responding

teatea

@butterfly01 I haven’t had those procedures done before but I’ve visited a gynaecologist before and it was a really positive experience for me. Everything is explained in detail and if I had any concerns I felt really safe to ask about them. Maybe look into the procedures a little more before you go and write down any questions you might have to ask? Hope it goes well!

Butterfly01
    Participant

Hi @tea
    thanks so much, i have had a look at the procedures and they dont seem that painful more just awkward and uncomfortable. what isnt when it comes to these sorts of things feels a little daunting though! i think ill be writing down any questions ive got and taking them with me and will be sure to ask if any questions come up during the appointments as well

-_-
    Participant

Hey @butterfly01 totally normal to be a little bit daunted by an upcoming procedure – I haven’t had the colposcopy before but have had an IUD (long acting reversible contraceptive put in via the cervix) and a biopsy on another part of my body it was definitely more awkward/uncomfortable than painful. Such a great idea to write a list as things come up too.

My hot tip is to make sure that you have everything set up at home for after the procedure to be as comfy as possible i.e. Netflix is ready and you’ve got some yum food in the fridge! 🙂 good luck!

GoldenRoseGoldenRose

@butterfly01 maybe even just let your doctor know that you’re a bit nervous before the procedure, I’m sure they’ll try and make the process as comfortable as possible for you – hope it all goes well! 🙂

Butterfly01
    Participant

thank you @stephaniaaaah for sharing that with me. im glad it wasnt painful. the most thing i fear is needles and im aware biopsies and some procedures need abit of local. thats more what im afraid of then the procedures themselves!

thanks for those tips! i wouldnt have thought of that!

thank you @goldenRose ill be sure to let them know, my gp and nurse are aware that im nervous but the gynaecologist is new to me but ill let them know too.

teatea

Good tips from @stephaniaaaah! Definitely, set yourself up with lots of bed rest for your recover (maybe a heap of sweets to eat too?) @butterfly01

Butterfly01
    Participant

hi @tea
    thank you, no sweets for me though unfortunatly!

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • The forum ‘Sexual Health’ is closed to new topics and replies.