What IS HPV? - Play Safe Forum Topics
Use this button to quickly leave the website
Quick Exit
Visit the blog

Home Forums Sexual Health What IS HPV?

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    teatea

What is HPV (human papillomavirus)?

I recently came across an amazing video from Ted-Ed talking about just that and thought I’d share! I’ve always been aware of HPV and to get checked for it during routine screenings at the GP – but to be honest, I didn’t really know what it was!

It sounds really scary but with regular checks, it’s nothing to be too concerned about. Most strains are cleared up by our bodies anyway! Checking for the human papillomavirus is what helps prevent the bad strains which can become cancerous, so detecting them early is good for everyone.

Did you find the video useful? Did you know what human papillomavirus was? Do you have anything to add that wasn’t in the video?

HPV Info | Video | STI Testing

kitkat

@tea thanks for this info! I’m studying nursing and have worked in healthcare for years and I still didn’t really have a good idea.

I found the video super useful – I think the fear from not knowing about or understanding something is always worse than the demystification!

MintMilanoMintMilano

This is probably only slightly related, but has anyone else noticed random references to HPV in films or or TV or anything? It’s usually as a joke or some kind of comic relief, except instead of it being the butt of the joke (like how herpes is constantly treated in comedy) its almost just like a casual reference to it, which is somehow funny but also normalising, because it’s kind of relatable?

I can’t for the life of me remember where I heard/saw it though, I’ll try to remember and report back.

But in all seriousness, HPV is kind of like herpes in that it sounds terrifying at first but the more you learn about it the less scary it becomes. I think the success of creating the vaccine definitely has something to do with it, because now the awareness comes with good news for preventions and treatments.

teatea

@kitkat I’m so glad you found the video useful! It really helped clear any misconceptions I had about HPV.

@mintmilano
    Omg what? I haven’t seen anything like that, but I don’t have a TV so that could be why!! You’re so right about it being similar to herpes in the sense of it being made out to be worse than it is. It’s not really scary at all as long as you’re getting checked regularly!

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • The forum ‘Sexual Health’ is closed to new topics and replies.