when is someone physically and emotionally ready for sex? - Play Safe Forum Topics
Use this button to quickly leave the website
Quick Exit
Visit the blog

Home Forums Sexual Health when is someone physically and emotionally ready for sex?

Tagged: 

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    v4wanndii
    Participant

My teenage niece asked me this question yesterday and I was reluctant to answer. My first sex was when I was 24 (kind of late) because I think that I was not ready emotionally. It is hard for me to explain to her. has anyone been asked this question before?

mak_trouble891
    Participant

Wow, great question @v4wanndii. I think being ready for sex, is a very individual thing. You say 24 was late, yes in todays society it can be considered late, but I think it is better to wait until you feel you are ready, regardless of your age or what society thinks.
    I think there is more to sex than just the physical, emotional and sexual responsibilities/repocussions that comes with being sexually active.
    I don’t really know what the marker is for being ready, but for me, it was being comfortable with the idea of sex, I wanted it and was comfortable with my partner seeing and touching me. And I was also prepared to by condoms and accepted the consequences of my sexual decisions.

NickiPower
    Participant

That’s a good question @v4wanndii. I guess it’s different for each person, I don’t really remember when I knew I was ready but the important thing was that I arrived at the decision on my own, and not under pressure from anyone else. 

Aunt_FloAunt_Flo

I’m with @mak_trouble891. A big part of knowing I was ready for sex was organising and taking responsibility for contraception and discussing the potential consequences with my long term partner. I definitely think there is a big emotional component to being ready as well @v4wanndii

v4wanndii
    Participant

@Aunt_Flo Agree. Knowledge about contraction is really important. I also advice my niece about that as well.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • The forum ‘Sexual Health’ is closed to new topics and replies.