Did you know that condoms are the only form of contraception that protect against both pregnancy and STIs? They come in lots of different shapes, sizes and flavours, meaning there’s never a reason not to use one.
Here are our six steps to condom sexcess:
- Get consent first and remember that it’s not a yes, until it’s a HELL YES
- Check the expiry – old condoms can break easily
- Open the condom carefully along the side of the packet. You might be tempted to tear it open with your teeth, but best to use your hands as you want the condom to be damage free. Save the biting for later
IT’S ALL IN THE TIP
- Hold the tip of the condom to remove any air while you place it on the penis (or sex toy) before rolling it down
JUST ROLL WITH IT
- If the condom is difficult to roll down, it might be inside out
- Don’t let this ruin your fun, just grab another one (never reuse the same condom, as it might have pre-cum on it which puts you at risk of an STI / pregnancy)
LUBE IT UP, BABY
- For sex with more oooo’s than argghhh’s, put some water-based lubricant on the outside of the condom
- Lube = decreased risk of condom breakage + increased pleasure. Sounds good, right?
- Once your fun is done, ensure the penis is removed while still erect. Hold onto the base of the condom while withdrawing the penis or sex toy. This ensures no sneaky substances ruin all of your good work and that the condom doesn’t come off in your partner
ONE LAST THING
- Remove the condom
- Tie it, wrap it, bin it
- Don’t flush it down the loo. Condoms don’t belong in the ocean!
For more information about how to use condoms – and how to ask your partner to use one – check out the condom section on Play Safe website.
Thanks to Tanaya and Verity from Unleashed Grad Trips for taking us through the steps.