Marriage Equality Postal Survey - Play Safe Forum Topics
Use this button to quickly leave the website
Quick Exit
Visit the blog

Home Forums Hanging Out Marriage Equality Postal Survey

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 48 total)
  • Author
    ElleBelle
    Participant

What do you guys think about marriage equality and the postal “plebiscite” that’s happening soon?

Also, if you’re over 18 have you checked that you’re enrolled and that your address is up to date? You only have until August 24 to check, and it can be done here.

MintMilanoMintMilano

It’s a shame it has to be done with a big expensive postal vote when that money could be better spent, in my opinion, but I’m hoping it results in marriage equality soon! I’ve been doing a bit of campaigning in my local area and encouraging people to check their enrolments and vote yes for equality.

teatea

It’s certainly disappointing that our government hasn’t been able to make a decision about such an important aspect of people’s lives. I agree with @MintMilano that the money could be better spent. I guess the positive side to the whole issue is being able to see so many loving, caring individuals doing their best to advocate for positive change. It’s nice seeing communities coming together and showing support for those who might not have access to that. <3

CloakOfAsh
    Participant

It’s already starting to surface hate campaigns. SO horrible for those affected, why can’t the elected leaders whose job it is to make ‘tough’ choices just do the right thing from the get go!

MsBlueStreak
    Participant

AND….. the hate side of this campaign has made international news, specifically the New York Times. I’m so proud right now. Yep, now we have the international reputation of not only being racist, but homophobic. Yippee!

Needless to say (I hope), I’m voting (because failing to vote just hands the no vote Brexit levels of power), I’m voting YES! and Ima pick a fight with anyone who wants to try to convince me otherwise.

peachy
    Participant

So many mixed feelings about this.

I’m upset that when we get the results, I’ll know the exact proportion of Australians who wouldn’t want my girlfriend and I to get married. It can be nerve wracking enough just walking and holding hands around areas you know aren’t 100% LGBTQI friendly. I don’t want stats that can confirm this worry and keep me from being comfortable in public! I also don’t want to feel me holding hands with my partner is a political act in the lead up to the vote. That’s not something my straight friends have to worry about.

But I am so excited that more young people are on the electoral roll as a result of this survey. I’m hoping that will translate to more youth-friendly policies from all parties – they won’t be able to risk losing the youth vote at the next election!

CloakOfAsh
    Participant

@peachy I can’t imagine how stressful this must be for the LGBTQI community. Just know that polls aren’t everything and numbers can say a lot of things and be skewed myriad different ways so don’t take it as gospel. You do you!

NickiPower
    Participant

Also remember that adding glitter to your envelope with void your vote! Apparently they need to destroy it because of the “unknown” substances. 

I for the first time ever, had one of those FB banners reminding everyone to enrol (and vote yes) because I feel so strongly about this. It should be a simple fix without going to a vote BUT at least we can drown out the hate with LOVE!!  <3 <3 <3

DeftRat
    Participant

I’ve never really considered marriage something that I want to do and haven’t seen it as important to me and my partner as I figured I had the rights I needed in a de facto relationship. I have actually realised (after watching Magda Szubanksi’s impassioned speech on The Project) that I do not have the same rights as heterosexual couples. I am not considered next of kin for my partner and he is not for me either. In a de facto relationship, if we break up I can legally ask for half of everything thing of his but I cannot be there anything serious when it comes to medical procedures as I am not considered “family”. Puts a few things into perspective, but considering that I don’t have these rights I am more for same-sex marriage

Kit
    Participant

So who has the low down on what happens after the vote? Like what are the actual implications for marriage equality in Australia?

CookieMonster
    Participant

Waste of money! just let them get married already!!!! 

Lets all be honest in 50 or so years they are going to be reading the history of marriage and thinking what idiots just like we do when looking at black and white segregation …not to mention the concept of marriage is such a new thing anyway so I don’t understand the problem at all…

DeftRat
    Participant

@Kit the vote is not binding for the government, it is literally an opinion survey. From what I gather Malcolm Turnbull has said that if there is a majority of Yes votes that a conscience vote will be held for the Liberal Party, but whether or not that happens is yet to be seen (someone please correct me if I’m wrong). And if there is a resounding No then I suppose we just ahve to wait until the next federal election where I’m Labour will win power easily and will pass marriage equality like Malcom Turnbull should have already

MsBlueStreak
    Participant

@DeftRat you’ve understood most of the process following the postal vote. The parliamentary vote has been promised to take place before the end of the year… though I’m not entirely sure how the legislation can be implemented so quickly

(I don’t just want the ability to say “I do” to be implemented, I want everything that revolves around the legal definition of marriage to be fixed to, ala the UK)

Kit
    Participant

Right ok. So are you saying that it’s the opinion survey before the personal opinion vote by the people who can actually do something about it? And neither really has an effect on the other – or the final outcome?

mak_trouble891
    Participant

I worry about the outcome of a ‘NO’ outcome and the massive step backward and kick in the guts this will have on the LGBTQI community. I worry about how this will impact my sister and her ‘wife’ – they are married in mine and my families eyes but not the laws. I worry about my dad and his partner and their future. 

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 48 total)
  • The forum ‘Hanging Out’ is closed to new topics and replies.