Sti - Play Safe Forum Topics
Use this button to quickly leave the website
Quick Exit
Visit the blog
Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    pollypower
    Participant

is it possible to be born with an sti?

walk_on_walls
    Participant

I’m pretty sure there’s a few that can be passed from a pregnant mum to the baby. Chlamydia, syphilis…

CloakOfAsh
    Participant

I think @walk_on_walls is right – @Nurse_Nettie can you confirm please?

Nurse_NettieNurse_Nettie
    Keymaster

@walk_on_walls is right @CloakOfAsh!  In fact, HIV, Hepatitis B, syphilis, gonorrhoea, chlamydia, herpes and human papilloma virus may be passed from mum to baby during pregnancy, vaginal delivery and breast feeding. While that may sound scary, it’s good to know that HIV and STI testing is a routine part of antenatal care during pregnancy. These infections, including HIV can be treated during pregnancy reducing transmission and harm to mum and baby.  

ElleBelle
    Participant

I heard that a lot of people get HSV1 as babies, when relatives who have it give them kisses.

Nurse_NettieNurse_Nettie
    Keymaster

That’s right @ElleBelle. HSV1 is very common and lots of people become infected from being kissed on the face (including babies). Some people will get symptoms and some won’t. Usually it is a mild condition, commonly known as cold sores. 

walk_on_walls
    Participant

Is it true having HSV1 (cold sores) gives you *some* protection against getting HSV2 (genital herpes)? @Nurse_Nettie

Nurse_NettieNurse_Nettie
    Keymaster

The answer is no @walk_on_walls as they’re different types of viruses. It’s possible to be infected with both HSV1 & HSV2.  

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • The forum ‘Sex & Relationships’ is closed to new topics and replies.