Vaginas Deserve Giant Ads Too! - Play Safe Forum Topics
Use this button to quickly leave the website
Quick Exit
Visit the blog

Home Forums Sexual Health Vaginas Deserve Giant Ads Too!

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    sextronautsextronaut

I read this amazing article today in the NY Times and it really highlights the extreme disparity between the advertising, funding, and basic healthcare of vulvas, vaginas, uterus’ and other womxns health issues. It’s infuriating to see plain gender discrimination laid out like this, but so important that it’s being reported. When do you think this imbalance will change and what will it take to change it?

sextronautsextronaut

If you enjoyed this article I’ve just found another one written by the brilliant creators of Unbound – Polly Rodriguez and Sarah Jayne Kinney. With some brilliant quotes:

‘This dichotomy exists because a man’s ability to have an erection is considered a health concern, based on the biological fact that a man must orgasm in order to procreate. As a result, male sexual wellness brands are considered morally acceptable as “family planning products.” Women, however, don’t need to experience an orgasm in order to procreate, so any product that exists solely to grant women pleasure in the reproductive process is considered a “vice” product.’

‘“I guess it’s a double standard, but where’s the line then, ya know?”
    We know where the line is. It’s been drawn pretty clearly in front of women, sex workers, disabled people, people of color, and the entire LGBTQIA community essentially forever. The line is a comfort zone, and the bogus justification of “public decency” is the shield.’

So infuriating but so empowering. Right?!

teatea

“We know where the line is.” Truuuuuuue @sextronaut!!!!!!!!

This article popped up on my FB feed the other day and tbh I wasn’t shocked about there being an uproar. Maybe the imbalance would change if we rebel against the system and post giant vulva’s everywhere anyway. I think government run program’s discussing women’s health is a good start though, there was a video series done recently for the promotion of uterine owning health concerns. More talk = more acceptance!

sextronautsextronaut

@tea I totally agree. More websites like Play Safe, I say!

teatea

@sextronaut There’s actually a thread for that! 😉 [ Here ]

sextronautsextronaut

thanks @tea!

Aunt_FloAunt_Flo

Two things that have always irritated me:
    1. Using either water or the ‘mystery blue’ liquid in place of period blood in period product commercials.
    2. In the Eminem song ‘The Real Slim Shady’, the word clitoris is bleeped out on the radio as if it’s a swear word!

It is really frustrating to feel like a vagina is something dirty or private because it’s shameful.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • The forum ‘Sexual Health’ is closed to new topics and replies.