Dating on 'the apps' - Play Safe Forum Topics
Use this button to quickly leave the website
Quick Exit
Visit the blog

Home Forums Sex & Relationships Dating on ‘the apps’

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 45 total)
  • Author
    EarthMamaEarthMama

Super lovely to hear success stories! I have a friend myself who was on Tinder for one day when she was travelling, went on a date, was in a long distance relationship for two years and has now moved countries to be with the guy :O !! It obviously works great for many people. Does anyone have any tips or tricks for navigating them successfully?

PurplePurple

@EarthMama I’ve been on about five dates with a guy from Tinder which is a huge deal for me as I have a fear of commitment and have never been in an exclusive r/ship – have always been this way, it just seems to be how I’m wired 🙁 He’s really lovely though and the perfect gentleman. We actually spoke for about three weeks before meeting as we kinda started talking a bit before Christmas and I got to know him pretty well before meeting him – that really helped. I’m pretty blunt on my profile as well, I have something like “If you’re still not over your ex, are a mens rights activist or our planning to permanently leave Sydney in the near future please swipe left, it will save us both a lot of time”. I think that has really weeded out people who are not ready for a r/ship or who aren’t my type and although it’s pretty blunt (and perhaps a little brutal) I think a lot of people know I’m serious about finding something serious and act accordingly. I also think only swipe on people you’re really attracted to/like the sound of/would actually like to meet up with because otherwise the options and amount of people on there can be overwhelming and you’re kind of paralysed so to speak with choice. 

EarthMamaEarthMama

Thanks @Purple that is some good advice! I love how blunt you are and I am totally a fan of being upfront about what it really is you’re looking for. We all just want to love and have a great time, right?? Say it how it is!! 🙂 🙂 

HappyHooHah
    Participant

BUMBLE! can be used for 3 things… dating, making friends or connecting like linked in.. 3 separate uses filtered differently. Less creeeeeepies!

EarthMamaEarthMama

Great to hear that you’re enjoying Bumble @HappyHooHah ! Do you legitimately go on there to make friends?? And does it work?? I’m amazed! Stories, please!

-_-
    Participant

@EarthMama @HappyHooHah I met a girl when I first moved here and she’d sued Bumble loads to meet girl mates – in fact, she’s just gone travelling for 6 months with one of them! I tried it but it felt too much like Life Admin (all that messaging) so used Meet Up instead 

champagnepapi

Is it just me or is everyone on bumble crazy attractive? The one time i used it i was like woahhh  #thethirstisreal

HappyHooHah
    Participant

@EarthMama I haven’t up with anyone yet but it’s been great to chat to some people.
    Most of the time, it’s less “creepy” than Tinder. Funny how over time, people have sort of gravitated to certain apps for certain things….

I feel like Tinder is getting a rap for the place to seek a one night stand
    Bumble more for relationships/friends…

What other apps are people using?

MintMilanoMintMilano

@HappyHooHah it’s funny you should say that because when it comes to gay men Tinder is definitely more for dating and people looking for more than just a one night stand, and Grindr (or any of the dozens of apps designed for gay men) are a little more hook-up/sex orientated, even though they’re marketed at “a place to meet guys.” 

EarthMamaEarthMama

@HappyHooHah How interesting. I really do feel like different apps get different raps depending on who you speak to… I am certainly yet to meet someone who has used Bumble for friendship. I will say however that a friend of mine was an avid Tinder user, and she was constantly telling me about dates she went on and then simply became friends with the guy… amazing!

-_-
    Participant

@champagnepapi hahaha one hundred percent. So much hotter.  I think that Bumble just shows you all the 9’s straight up. 

Tinder users the algorithm to show you people of similar ‘hotness’ (i know so shallow) and the more hot people you match with, the more hot people you get shown too… Sooo for example if you are a 6, tinder will show you people between 5-7, the more 7’s you match with, then your rating will go up and you will be shown to 6-8’s and so on.. 

@EarthMama @HappyHooHah I’ve def dated some dudes on Tinder and now have become awesome friends with them! 

champagnepapi

@stephaniaaaah
    I did not know about that algorithm! ouch, way to make me feel attacked on a wednesday morning hahaha. i guess it was about time that tinder started using a quality control process though. 

PurplePurple

I have a question about dating apps! This probably isn’t the right place to ask but anyway. Say if I have my age range set at 23-35 (which it currently is) and a 60 year old has his age range set at 20-25 (I’m 23) can they see me on their Tinder? Like can people who are out of my age range see me? I’m really interested as I was talking to a friend about this the other day and not going to lie, it kind of makes me feel weird that 50-60 year old men might be checking out photos of me haha 

champagnepapi

@Purple no i don’t think so! i think you only seen and are shown to people within your range. 

MintMilanoMintMilano

@Purple see I always thought it was the opposite to that @champagnepapi, I thought you saw whoever was around within your specified age range, no matter what theirs was. But if they’re not in your age range you’ll never be shown them, and therefore you’d never end up matching with them anyway.

Although that might just be the case with the age filters in some of the other apps like Grindr where its just a grid of profiles to browse and no need to match with anyone in order to chat. 

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 45 total)
  • The forum ‘Sex & Relationships’ is closed to new topics and replies.