Dating on 'the apps' - Play Safe Forum Topics
Use this button to quickly leave the website
Quick Exit
Visit the blog

Home Forums Sex & Relationships Dating on ‘the apps’

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 45 total)
  • Author
    peachy
    Participant

@stephaniaaaah omg I had no idea about the algorithm, how awful! 
    @Purple I don’t think they can, because when I say I’m interested in women on tinder, it’s obvious I’m getting women interested in women coming up (because so many put rainbow flags in their bios) and not heterosexual women (who wouldn’t want me to see them) 

EarthMamaEarthMama

@stephaniaaaah OMG THAT ALGORITHM! I am desperately trying to think back to my Tinder matches now…this is disturbing. 

champagnepapi

@EarthMama I was getting some real undesirable (is that mean? I’m sorry!!) matches earlier this week, but then I started swiping right more and also replying to people more and now there’s some really attractive matches in my inbox. So don’t take it as a personal attack haha! The algorithm depends on a number of factors I think, not just how attractive you are on a 10 point scale.

EarthMamaEarthMama

Hahaha @champagnepapi thank you for this clarification 😛 I am so curious as to how they would even determine this scale! Attractiveness is so subjective…

peachy
    Participant

I’m so invested in this tinder algorithm now, so I had to do some further investigating! I read this article that clarifies it some more but it raised an interesting question. If tinder did give you a desirability score, would you want to know it? Similar to how you can see your uber rating?

PurplePurple

Haha the algorithm is terrifying, I don’t even know why or how they would determine that and it’s pretty creepy! @peachy I personally would love to know but generally I don’t think it would be a good idea, I can imagine people feeling pretty down if their rating wasn’t high and it could really affect your self esteem – kind of like that Black Mirror episode Nosedive. 

EarthMamaEarthMama

Ooh @peachy that would be so tempting to know! However, I am quite aware that as a society we struggle with self-analysis and resilience- so here’s hoping the numbers never get out! 

peachy
    Participant

@Purple omg yes it’s exactly like that black mirror episode! Can you imagine if that desirability score also started to affect other parts of your life like getting a house, job etc? Terrifying!! 

peachy
    Participant

@EarthMama It would have such a huge impact on our collective mental health, I absolutely agree! 

EarthMamaEarthMama

@peachy Do you think your self worth would be strong enough to rise above it? I think eventually I would decide it was stupid, but certainly not at first…

peachy
    Participant

@EarthMama yes I imagine people would eventually build up resilience strategies, but you’re always going to have people who are really anxiety-prone and a bit vulnerable who would really struggle with always being aware of what others thought of them! 

HappyHooHah
    Participant

OMG MIND BLOWN

Wildsire
    Participant

I have dabbled with Plenty of Fish a few times, though did not really like it, or at least I didn’t find it as successful for meeting people as OK Cupid, not sure why. Then I’ve read few reviews on this site and decide to give online dating another chance.

stephaniaaaahstephaniaaaah
    Keymaster

@Wildsire so true that some sites are more successful for meeting people than others! Good to hear that you are giving online dating another chance. Good luck!

teatea

@wildsire Any luck with your online dating experiences so far?

I forget that things like OkCupid etc exist with Tinder around, such a wide scope of choices when it comes to online dating! Amazing!

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 45 total)
  • The forum ‘Sex & Relationships’ is closed to new topics and replies.