High School Sex Ed - Play Safe Forum Topics
Use this button to quickly leave the website
Quick Exit
Visit the blog

Home Forums Sex & Relationships High School Sex Ed

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 50 total)
  • Author
    mak_trouble891
    Participant

Is high school sex education all it can be? From what I remember it was limited and extremely awkward. But does it have to be? I still remember the plastic banana and condom exercise.

Recently I have been looking at other countries and their sex education systems, especially countries like the Netherlands. I wonder if there are things we could adopt from their system. Should we follow the Netherlands and lower the age we start talking about sex in schools?

blithe
    Participant

So much improvement could happen here!
    There’s a plain language, no nonsense Norwegian series which explains a bunch of puberty stuff by showing actual, naked bodies. You’ll see links to each of the 8 episodes. (I actually discovered this when someone shared it on Facebook. The one about puberty and body hair is great. I learned stuff!)

blithe
    Participant

PS @map_891 Would you be comfortable if I moved this convo to what will become the public part of the forum? I reckon it’s a great conversation starter!
    Sarah

Lube_Man
    Participant

My sex-ed was “He has the Key, She has the Keyhole”, you open the door and babies come out…. :/

blithe
    Participant

@Lube_Man Oh man, we need a “shrieking” option, LOL is not going to cut it. 

Lube_Man
    Participant

@blithe I am glad that I decided NOT to listen to them! On the upside…we did learn that “do your balls hang low” song haha

blithe
    Participant

I learned it as “Do your ears hang low”!  😮

Aunt_FloAunt_Flo

My sex ed was pretty much the same as @Lube_Man. Pretty much me Tarzan, you Jane baby-making sort of stuff. With a little safe-sex in between.

Lots of focus on men, as well – I don’t think we even ‘touched’ (zing~) on the fact that women masturbate.

Oh and we learned it as ‘do your boobs hang low?’ Quality stuff!

mak_trouble891
    Participant

yeah @blithe go ahead, I totally agree with you, I think it would make a great public conversation.

mak_trouble891
    Participant

@blithe omg! I watched that Norwegian sex ed link you posted. Its fantastic. How great would it be if something like that could be shown in schools here. : :smiley:

Big_Mama
    Participant

We didn’t even have sex ed at school. Premarital sex is a very taboo topic in the Middle East, so everything I learned I got from magazines like cosmo and glamour. And even those articles would be censored sometimes. The reality though is that premarital sex is becoming more and more popular, but nobody wants to talk about it. Which is a shame, because it sucks having all these questions and feeling like you’ve got nobody to turn to for advice. 

pollypower
    Participant

Theres a great sex positivity campaign in the Northern Rivers currently. It’s aimed at young people aged 14-24. It is called PASH- jump online and check it out
    http://www.pash.org.au/

Curiosity
    Participant

@pollypower I have heard that the PASH conference is a great forum

stephaniaaaahstephaniaaaah
    Keymaster

@blithe that video you posted is great!! The sex ed I got in school was basically tacked on as part of the science class one day..   I think that Europe is leaps and bounds ahead of Australia judging by Norway!

blithe
    Participant

I love that it’s called Pash, @pollypower. That was a super popular word when I was at school. There was even a song called Pash. 🙂

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 50 total)
  • The forum ‘Sex & Relationships’ is closed to new topics and replies.