High School Sex Ed - Play Safe Forum Topics
Use this button to quickly leave the website
Quick Exit
Visit the blog

Home Forums Sex & Relationships High School Sex Ed

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 50 total)
  • Author
    mak_trouble891
    Participant

What’s you guys thoughts, should LGBTIQ sex education be taught in schools? I’m definitely for something like this being taught is schools, especially the idea of sexuality, gender identity and what it means to identify as someone who is gender neutral, gender fluid etc. Thoughts?

HHH
    Participant

My sex ed teacher wasn’t the best at teaching haha 

mak_trouble891
    Participant

@HHH that seems to be a common thing. It really is a shame

ElleBelle
    Participant

Sex Ed at my high school fell under Health class, so the sports teachers took it. I think they were more embarrassed than we were. From what I remember, it was just the anatomical basics, which most of us already knew. There was a jar where you could write anonymous questions about sex for the teacher to answer. I wrote down “How do girls masturbate?” and when it was read out the first thing my teacher said was “well, some women use a cucumber.” WTF!

v4wanndii
    Participant

@ElleBelle That’s funny. Well, I grew up in Cambodia where sex is a taboo. we don’t have reproductive health education class. I think it was included in the biology class, however my teacher always skipped every lesson related to sex. And I remember one of my classmate asked him why he skipped the chapter? He answered something like it was not going to appear in your exam any way. How funny it was, when i think of it right now.

mak_trouble891
    Participant

OMG! @ElleBelle, that’s too funny. Really a cucumber. Its a shame really, it was like that for me too a school, however I never got told to use a cucumber. We just got told that girls couldn’t masturbate let alone orgasm lol  

Curiosity
    Participant

I remember only the ‘exploring early childhood’ elective (which were only 25 girls) were taught to put condoms on dildos. No one else in our school year got that education. The word in the school yard were that they got to play with dildos, everyone wanted in on that lesson

MsBlueStreak
    Participant

I don’t remember much of the actual class (which formed part of “Health Studies and Physical Education” in my first year of high school). Things I do remember include having one male and one female teacher in the room for the entire process, and  the boys got to play soccer for the child birthing video and conversation, (which I considered extremely sexist, even at my young age).

I do however very clearly remember the parental conversation about whether the permission form I’d brought home would be signed (in a two parent household the school required both parents to sign the consent form):

D: “I don’t want her learning this stuff yet. She’s too young, and we don’t know what they’ll tell her and what ideas they’ll put in her head.”

M: “Do you really want to have the birds and the bees conversation with her yourself?”

D: Signs on dotted line without another word, and then avoids eye contact with me for a week.

Kit
    Participant

Wow @MsBlueStreak, shuffling the boys out for the childbirth topic is just ridiculous. It’s really sad that some teachers saw (still do?) sex ed as a ‘need to know’ basis – and that they saw childbirth as something boys didn’t need to know!  😮

I remember other classes at my school talking about putting condoms on bananas but that just never happened for my class and I was always sad about it. To your original query @mak_trouble891, we first got some basic sex ed in primary school around a puberty discussion and I certainly think that was a reasonable time to start talking about sex. I was about 10.

MsBlueStreak
    Participant

@Kit as sexist and stupid as I found, I didn’t exactly watch the video myself (I had a couple of books in my backpack, and I made use of them).  

I distinctly remember the number of post video conversations in the school yard from the girls in my grade about not wanting to have children because it’s a disgusting process with so much bodily fluid. So it was basically an abstinence inducing tool with no further input or discussion from the teachers involved (I really hope things have gotten better since – because I have serious objections to abstinence style sex-ed).

Curiosity
    Participant

This is American based but discusses some commonalities and the unfair reference as woman when they discuss abstinence https://youtu.be/L0jQz6jqQS0

MsBlueStreak
    Participant

John Oliver – my favourite rant artist… He never fails to have a fantastic point that is totally on the side of truth and justice.

He makes absolute sense about the need for in school sex-ed to be comprehensive. There are very few families that are open and comfortable enough to have a proper, informed and complete conversation on the topic of sex, hormones, bodily function, STIs, and sexuality.

And if we are to ensure that the next generation are properly informed and well adjusted with their sexuality, then we need to make sure they are all informed in the same way – with facts, information, and compassion (hello your friend and mine @Nurse_Nettie).

(Also, I’m saving that sex-ed video from the end of the rant…. My children (if I ever have any) and God Children will be watching that)

mak_trouble891
    Participant
    OMG! @Caiti I was just about to post that same clip. A friend sent me the link to that clip and I watched it the other day. I found it fascinating, but scary that sex education can differ so much from school to school. Mind you I loved that little clip at the end
    mak_trouble891
    Participant

Here’s a question, with sex ed, is there any question you shouldn’t answer?

Big_Mama
    Participant

I can’t think of any question that shouldn’t be answered. I can imagine school kids though being a bit inappropriate with their questions. 

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 50 total)
  • The forum ‘Sex & Relationships’ is closed to new topics and replies.