Learning to drive - Play Safe Forum Topics
Use this button to quickly leave the website
Quick Exit
Visit the blog

Home Forums Hanging Out Learning to drive

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 44 total)
  • Author
    Aunt_FloAunt_Flo

So, at the age of 22, I’ve decided it’s probably time to finish off my tattered old log book and do the remaining hours I have left so I can get my P’s. I don’t really like driving and think it’s too dangerous, but it’s becoming more of a necessity for me. Does anyone else not drive? Any other late learners to driving here?

mak_trouble891
    Participant

One of my close friends doesn’t have her licence and my boyfriend is only on his L’s. I have my full licence so its not too much of a problem. But like you my friend has tried driving but doesn’t like it for a number of reasons and would rather take public transport. Myboyfriend on the other hand has never really had a need to get it.
    I think there can be benefits to learning to drive older. especially when it comes to understanding the dangers and risks involved with operating a car.
    My friend has often experienced ridicule for not having a licene, have you @Aunt_Flo?

walk_on_walls
    Participant

I had people driving me around until I was 19, and I couldn’t afford a car, so I never had the motivation to learn how to drive before then. But once I learnt, I was extremely glad I did. In Sydney, there’s a lot you can’t do efficiently without driving, so yes, a bit of a necessary evil.

As someone who dated a late learner, I’ve found the relationship improved when they learnt to drive. Our road trips were more fun and efficient because we could share the driving. It also took the burden off me for all the day-to-day driving, which really adds up after a few years!

Aunt_FloAunt_Flo

No, @mak_trouble891 I haven’t really found that anyone has made fun of me. I think cars being as expensive as they are, and the fact that very few of my friends drive makes it a bit easier for me in that regard. 

@walk_on_walls I’m expecting my relationship will improve as well. It’ll be easier to see each other, and we can get out of the house more. One of the many reasons I need to get my p’s 

MsBlueStreak
    Participant

@Aunt_Flo – I qualify as one of those never learned to drive types.

When I lived at home my parents didn’t want me to learn (my Dad used to joke about his little girl being more suited to becoming rich and famous and having a chauffeur hanging around).

I’ve actually started the learning thing a few times, but I have some seriously bad luck with that in that I keep injuring myself (not in the car) in ways that stop the driving practice temporarily. (Broke a few toes, and the last time I attempted learning my ankle – which because of complications kept me from behind the wheel for over a year).  I’m determined that I will learn before my L’s run out this time though.

mak_trouble891
    Participant

I’m hoping like with @walk_on_walls that when my partner gets his licence that the dynamics of our relationship will improve and change too. It can be quite difficult at times being the only person who drives, especially when you live an hour away from each other.

NickiPower
    Participant

@Aunt_Flo finding out if there is an update – have you logged enough hours, are you driving around displaying those P’s magnificently? (Don’t forget if you’re in NSW it’s Double Demerits this weekend too!) 

Aunt_FloAunt_Flo

@NickiPower slowly getting there but not enough hours yet! I thought it went down to 100 but it appears as though you still need 120! 

NickiPower
    Participant

Oh wow @Aunt_Flo, you’ll get there!! 🙂

mak_trouble891
    Participant

My partner is learning to drive, but because he is over 25, he doesn’t have to complete the allotted hours. I have had my licence since I was 16, and have found I have developed bad habits which my partner has picked up on. I wonder if I did a driving test now, if I would pass? Plus the road rules are always changing.

NickiPower
    Participant

That’s a really interesting @mak_trouble891, and yes the road rules are always changing!! 

Aunt_FloAunt_Flo

I was thinking about waiting until I was 25 @mak_trouble891. It seemed easier! But at 22 I’ve caved and I’m still learning. 72 hours down!

NickiPower
    Participant

You’re more than halfway through @Aunt_Flo! Awesome! 

mak_trouble891
    Participant

Keep going @Aunt_Flo you can do it!!

NickiPower
    Participant

@Aunt_Flo Driving update! How many hours down? 

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 44 total)
  • The forum ‘Hanging Out’ is closed to new topics and replies.